HybridZ

Late 280z versus 240z Lower Radiator Hose

Dat73z

Hello HBZ, 

I'm currently having a radiator and fan bracket built right now and the question of the lower radiator hose/outlet came up. 

I don't know too much about the 280z but I think the radiator is maybe dimensionally longer due to the longer core support. I do know based on seeing pictures of the "late" OE hose that the outlet is straight out versus angled up like the 240z. 

The radiator builder (Wizard Cooling) has the option of the straight or angled fitting. My preference is to run the OE 240z lower radiator hose as the OE routing clears all of my fans and turbo cooler packaging just right. I've attached some drawings they had sent over to visualize. 

We're still sorting out the details but does anyone know if the 280z lower radiator hose will fit a 240z dimensional lower radiator outlet that is straight out without trimming? I was thinking maybe but I'm not sure if the 280z lower hose vertical length is dimensionally longer if the 280z radiator is dimensionally longer. 

If the 280z lower hose requires trimming how is the fit/is there an aftermarket hose that fits well and runs similarly to the 240z lower hose (but enters the radiator straight)? 

Thank you!

240z.png

280z.png

Isometric.png

The radiator is physically taller in a 280z. I'm sure a 280z hose would work fine on a modified radiator with a straight outlet, especially closer to 240z dimensions since you don't need to lengthen the hose. At the very worst, you'd be trimming an inch or two off the end if the new bend from having the radiator outlet a bit higher somehow created a kink in the hose. 

I trimmed my 280z hose to fit a Mishimoto radiator which only comes in the 240z style with the lower outlet upturned. 

Z Car Depot has aftermarket 280z upper and lower radiator hoses as well as OEM units, the Mishimoto hoses are only made for the 240z upturn but seem excessively expensive. 

Thanks @Zetsaz. Do you recall if the lower outlet location (the straight portion before it bends) on the mishimoto is about the same as the 280z radiator? If yes, then it sounds like I can run the OE 280z hose without much trouble. I was concerned because the 280z radiator is taller, the lower outlet location would be lower or much different than the 280z. 

I'm not sure I'm understanding your description correctly. You may be thinking of it backwards. Unless you somehow went even taller than a 280z radiator, OE 280z hoses should work for either application especially with a straight, with the small caveat that you may have to cut a bit of the end going into the radiator if the bend becomes too tight. They're slightly longer than you'll need if you have a 240z radiator. 

I still have my 280z radiator sitting around. Never got around to recycling it (started leaking). I'll take some measurements when I'm home today and let you know exactly how much higher up the 240z outlet is. Sadly, my 280 hoses are cut, so I can't just eyeball if they'll kink or work as is for you. 

PS - if I didn't already have the Mishimoto and wasn't already hemorrhaging money trying to finish this thing I'd ask ask to just make a second radiator and send it my way. Looks like a very nice piece haha

Thanks some quick mesurements would be super helpful! 

Btw, Wizard saves all these drawings so once we've figured it out you can just call them and get the same setup in the future 😁

Here's a pic of what I'm describing. I'm worried if the 280z lower outlet is physically lower then I'd need to run a non-OE hose or trim the vertical portion of the hose to get to the 240z outlet. Either way I could make it work, but since this is a custom order if I need to do that I'd rather have Wizard alter the design so I can just run a 240z hose with no mods necessary. 

20220503_095519.jpg

I can confirm that the 280z radiator outlet is ~2" lower than the 240z radiator. I'm running a AZC radiator that is dimensionally the same as a 280z radiator with a 280z lower hose and it fits no problem. One tip is to get a hose with the internal spring to keep the hose from collapsing under high engine speeds.

12 hours ago, Dat73z said:

Thanks some quick mesurements would be super helpful! 

Btw, Wizard saves all these drawings so once we've figured it out you can just call them and get the same setup in the future 😁

Here's a pic of what I'm describing. I'm worried if the 280z lower outlet is physically lower then I'd need to run a non-OE hose or trim the vertical portion of the hose to get to the 240z outlet. Either way I could make it work, but since this is a custom order if I need to do that I'd rather have Wizard alter the design so I can just run a 240z hose with no mods necessary. 

20220503_095519.jpg

The distance you're picturing is exaggerated. I just measured and it's about 2-2.5" lower like Rossman mentioned.