HybridZ

Socal Machine Shop for L Series Bellhousing

rvannly

I went to 2 machines shops, Burbank speed and machine and Deed automotive in moorepark and they could do it for about $400 for machining only, but it cost less to ship it to and from texas for Godzilla to do the machine work. Myself and a friend shipped Godzilla about 4 bellhousings to have done to cut down on costs. 

19 hours ago, BluDestiny said:

I went to 2 machines shops, Burbank speed and machine and Deed automotive in moorepark and they could do it for about $400 for machining only, but it cost less to ship it to and from texas for Godzilla to do the machine work. Myself and a friend shipped Godzilla about 4 bellhousings to have done to cut down on costs. 

Smart move. $400 for machining only is highly excessive. I had trouble finding anyone that did small batch work and ended up at a local machine shop that deals almost exclusively with marine work do mine for $80.  

I feel like that was REALLY cheap, but considering how little work it is for a shop with the right tools, anything over $150 seems excessive. it's really only opening up 3 holes plus some clearance on the thick part of the bearing opening for the thicker 71c gear.

I paid $150 to have a shop heat and bend my 6061 AL sway bar arms. I paid it gladly knowing the risk if they overstressed and cracked the metal. Best way I validate a machine shop is ask a few shops how long they think it will take. Try to find an avg. (like 4 hrs.) and see what that comes out to in $$/hr. Here is socal, $100/hr is not crazy especially if they have specialty experience (like racing engines). Obviously if they have to buy parts or use consumables, that is extra. Large jobs (8+hrs) like a full block rebuild (20hrs at my shop)sometimes come with a discount or they throw-in free work like clocking the head to the block. 

Godzilla Raceworks did the machining work for me last year (2021) for $125.  Shipping from CA to Texas and back was $130. I used a 4-speed housing and the cost to drill and weld on a bung was $150 so I did not use their service for this work.  It took a couple of months to get it back due to COVID-19 so plan accordingly.