HybridZ

65 prototype headlight covers on JDM parts....any experience?

I have been contemplating for some time now, getting these headlight covers. They are on the jdm-car-parts.com website. I would like to know if anyone on here has any experience with them? Is the rubber seal effective? Please respond if you have Real experience with them. Thanks!

jdm-parts- dot com.webp

Edited by A to Z

The price seems pretty steep. 

Bear in mind headlight buckets and trim rings will vary in dimensional tolerances. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the seals, your headlight bucket area isn't airtight anyways. Use some common foam rubber type adhesive seal. The typical non-trim ring headlight covers just use a strip of channeled rubber around. 

For the mounting some people just ditch the OE type mounting hardware and run rivnuts. 

For an outward OE look you can get the oval head type screws as well although I doubt most would notice. 

Here's a pic of my later ones while I was waiting for paint to dry

Edit: just took a look at their page and btw not sure what they mean by "fits more flush". Honestly the fit looks worse from their pics than the later versions on a well matched headlight bucket. On 3 different headlight buckets my headlight cover trim fits completely differently but I guess that's just how our cars and parts were made back then

20220516_182142.jpg

Edited by Dat73z

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, Tony D said:

I wonder where they come up with the "1965 Prototype" designation, as at that time development of the concept car was farmed out to Yamaha...

Yeah, I noticed that as well....kind of shrugged it off honestly.