HybridZ

Quadrifoglio Engine swap querry

NikiP

Hello!

Hopefully, that is not a horrible question, I have a 280z, and a quadrofiglio engine (500+hp). 

I am curious if it is possible to put that engine on the Z, would it even fit? Has anyone attempted something like that? The ONLY reason I am entertaining this is that I have the engine already. The engine came from an accident (works fine, but made it hard to resell here where I live). 

I haven't worked on any sort of engine swaps before. I am sure that this would need a new drivetrain for sure and transmission. Any tips/ideas? Thank you for reading!!!!

The engine should fit fine. It's just a V6, right? S30 engine bays are huge and fit just about anything. 

This is kind of one of those things where if you have to ask, it's outside what you should attempt. 

You'd need either the transmission that goes with the engine or an adapter plate for another transmission. Then you could make a custom driveshaft to attach it to the diff. As long as you have an R200 and aren't doing a bunch of drag launches, the diff should hold. Axles and stub axles are where the weak points would be. An 8.8, R230, or short nose R200 swap for the rear would be good insurance. Chassis stiffening would likely be needed at that power level as well. You'll also have to either retain the OEM ECU and integrate that into the existing wiring while figuring out how to flash out all the requirements that likely exist for the ECU to be connected to other body modules, or just go full standalone and rewire the whole engine. You might be able to find someone that has a plug-n-play product for the engine. 

• 1 month later...

This would be considered in my mind a very advanced swap in that to my knowledge no one has done it before you. If you have plenty of time then learning the fabrication skills and acquiring the necessary equipment and long term workspace would be first on the list. I've never done a swap but there is a very long list of items that need to work together for it to be a success. 

Edited by Derek

I looked into this when I was playing around with a swap idea 3 yrs ago. Are you specifically talking about the motor in the production Maserati’s? I believe only the Ferrari motors made 500 and over. I decided against it when I realized how expensive and rare replacement parts would be. It sounds cool, that's about all it had going for it compared to other options.