HybridZ

Front wiper delete

fusion

Has anyone not run front wipers, and if so, did you plug the holes in the cowl?  I won't purposefully drive in the rain, and I plan to put Rain-X on the windshield in case I get caught in the rain.  

I wouldn't mind losing the weight of the wiper motor and assembly, and don't see a reason to keep everything when I'm likely not going to use them at all.  I also have a muscle car that I've had for years and have probably run the wipers twice in the last 10 years.

I think it might look funny just leaving the holes in the cowl open.

Thoughts?

You can get a fiberglass cowl panel from Ztrix that has no holes for the wipers, but it also deletes the grills for the cabin air intake system and is a solid piece.

I don't run wipers on mine currently, but I have the motor and hardware installed.  I just haven't put on the wiper arms.

Those holes are really quite easy to weld shut if you have already committed to re-painting the cowl cover. Otherwise, the easiest and most convenient thing to do is measure the hole opening and buy a rubber flush plug, like all the other spots on the unibody. 

Weld or no-weld, it will be difficult to get a true delete (like it was never there) without refinishing the whole cover. Color-matching, filler work, etc. 

The piece is small enough to have sent-out for media blasting. 

Thanks guys.  Car is in primer so I could definitely weld the holes shut.  But not sure I want the permanence of that.  Plugs are a good idea but the holes are oval.

I wish I could attach the wiper arms without installing the entire wiper assembly, is that possible?

Measure the diameter of the shaft, go to the hardware store, and find a cap that fits and looks good.  There are a variety, metal and plastic.

https://www.superiorcomponents.com/fasteners/plastic-nut-caps#1

Or find a metal acorn nut and glue it on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_nut

Edited by NewZed

You can attach the wipers or just the posts without needing everything else hooked up.  Personally, I'd 3D print a piece that pops into the hole.  Counter point is how do you clean stuff off your windshield while driving?  Or am I the only guy that hits bugs that splatter to the size if a small saucer?