HybridZ

If i were to hellcat swap a 280zx what rear end would i use?

9 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

Ford GT 8.8 would be my vote. @Invincibleextremes

Goodness, everyone wants the insane power builds. Are ya'll drag racing or is this for bragging rights? Makes total sense to drag, but its reallllly dangerous having that much torque in street Z. Just my opinion having driven a wide range. 

I just think it would be awesome to have one of them with a 707hp hemi in one of them.

I would completely change all the suspension and put a full cage in ut with racing seats with harness so it would be as safe as possible

It sounds cool, and it certainly would be a great platform for a 1/4-mile drag. I just think as a road vehicle 700hp(the torque is the dangerous part) in a sub-3000lbs car means one of two things. Either you won’t use all that torque on the road (you will choose not to use WOT), or you will slip and slide and have the potential to total the car. Cage is a must for chassis stiffening let alone safety, but even with all the safety stuff you can still total your prized possession. 

After 20 years, I guess what I’m saying is bigger isn’t always better unless you are competing in a closed/controlled course. 

13 hours ago, AydinZ71 said:

It sounds cool, and it certainly would be a great platform for a 1/4-mile drag. I just think as a road vehicle 700hp(the torque is the dangerous part) in a sub-3000lbs car means one of two things. Either you won’t use all that torque on the road (you will choose not to use WOT), or you will slip and slide and have the potential to total the car. Cage is a must for chassis stiffening let alone safety, but even with all the safety stuff you can still total your prized possession. 

After 20 years, I guess what I’m saying is bigger isn’t always better unless you are competing in a closed/controlled 

I 100% understand what your saying and especially with a car that weighs 2800 pounds i can see where its very dangerous and i would love to do it but the cost involved would be a lot esspecially the engine alone you would be paying more for the engine than thr car it self but in all reality a fairly stock 5.3 hemi would be a better alternative because of the huge difference in power and it would much more safe

Edited by 79datsun280zx

• 2 months later...

Bin the whole rear suspension and diff for a start, mine has a S15 rear suspension and diff but the diff would not handle 700 hp nor would the axles. Basically what's required is the rear end from a comparably powered car. Big brakes required too plus body stiffening, really a complete re-engineer job.