HybridZ

Scammers operating on this site !

SeanD

When you post a parts-wanted ad OR reply to and ad/thread requesting a part, beware of the responses : can be a simple reply, usually a private/direct message.

The guy might even refer you to another saying ''I've seen this guy advertsing a few'' with an email address to contact.

It'll all sound totally convincing and along with the request for paypal via 'friends/family', which, to a member on this forum seems reasonable too.

Check out their member status : for how long they've been a member here and have they posted anywhere else and what was it - in most cases only a VERY brief time, sometimes the same day and with no other public activity (hence the PMs).

Admin/moderators - impossible to screen every request for membership however may it be possible that every new member must post a message in the presentation section to unblock their activity elsewhere ?

I got burned (stupidly) following my wanted add for new pistons.

Sucks that that happened to you Sean.

I posted a wanted ad here and ClassicZCars and got a ton scam replies. I basically ignore anyone who doesn't have at least a moderate posting history. The name they tell you to email sometimes won't even match the email address. Perhaps PMs could be disabled until you've been on the site for at least 24 hours or something? Wouldn't stop all of them, but would make it a little more difficult

56 minutes ago, calZ said:

Perhaps PMs could be disabled until you've been on the site for at least 24 hours or something? Wouldn't stop all of them, but would make it a little more difficult

I would say a week + 10 posts, and see how that works. I think banning new members from posting links could also help. 

• Like 1