HybridZ

Will This fan and shroud from ebay work on a 2-row Moshimoto Radiator on a 240z

Flak

If you mount a single 16 you may run into issues in terms of overall assembly thickness. 

The Mishimoto 2 core is a hair over 2.75" off the rad support. The fan you linked is a hair over 3.25" (~3.27"), and the shroud is 2 5/8" deep at the top. So your total assembly thickness would be 8.625" best case assuming all of the mounting is perfect, there are no dimensional tolerance issues, and your car isn't tweaked. 

The Water Pump pulley face is roughly 5.5" off the core support. 

You may be able to make it work, but the fan would not be mounted in the center of the rad. 

Edit: I assumed you had an L-series. I think the 8-9" measurement for the assembly is about right. If you are swapped, take a measurement from the core support and compare. I've seen SR20's and others which have much more room than the L6. 

Edited by Dat73z

8 hours ago, Dat73z said:

If you mount a single 16 you may run into issues in terms of overall assembly thickness. 

The Mishimoto 2 core is a hair over 2.75" off the rad support. The fan you linked is a hair over 3.25" (~3.27"), and the shroud is 2 5/8" deep at the top. So your total assembly thickness would be 8.625" best case assuming all of the mounting is perfect, there are no dimensional tolerance issues, and your car isn't tweaked. 

The Water Pump pulley face is roughly 5.5" off the core support. 

You may be able to make it work, but the fan would not be mounted in the center of the rad. 

Edit: I assumed you had an L-series. I think the 8-9" measurement for the assembly is about right. If you are swapped, take a measurement from the core support and compare. I've seen SR20's and others which have much more room than the L6. 

Thank you for the reply!  I'm still fairly new to datsuns, I just a stock l24 in the 240z.  Is that an L series?  Also, what would you recommend instead of this?  Is a flat shroud ok?

Edited by Flak

Yes the L24 in your 240z is a 2.4 liter inline 6. 

I would recommend fabricating an actual shroud with an air space. The mishimoto has an inward ledge from the rear face to the actual core, something like 0.25" iirc. 

If you use a flat plate, consider how you would allow air to bypass at speed. Some people use a rubber flap such that when the car is sitting in traffic the flap gets sealed closed by the pressure of the fans on drawing air from the front of the rad. At speed the flaps open up for less air obstruction through the rad. 

I have fabricated a couple shrouds/iterations for the Mishimoto actually, here is an example I made using twin spal 12 pullers. If I ran it I would've added some flaps or louvers as I mentioned above. 

Either way start with a basic sketch and measurements, all of the items you linked had them then do some cardboard templating, all the basic fabrication stuff

20210407_125922.jpg

20210407_152652.jpg

20210407_165348.jpg

20210407_185538.jpg

20220503_103031.jpg

20220502_064640.jpg

14 hours ago, Dat73z said:

Yes the L24 in your 240z is a 2.4 liter inline 6. 

I would recommend fabricating an actual shroud with an air space. The mishimoto has an inward ledge from the rear face to the actual core, something like 0.25" iirc. 

If you use a flat plate, consider how you would allow air to bypass at speed. Some people use a rubber flap such that when the car is sitting in traffic the flap gets sealed closed by the pressure of the fans on drawing air from the front of the rad. At speed the flaps open up for less air obstruction through the rad. 

I have fabricated a couple shrouds/iterations for the Mishimoto actually, here is an example I made using twin spal 12 pullers. If I ran it I would've added some flaps or louvers as I mentioned above. 

Either way start with a basic sketch and measurements, all of the items you linked had them then do some cardboard templating, all the basic fabrication stuff

20210407_125922.jpg

20210407_152652.jpg

20210407_165348.jpg

20210407_185538.jpg

20220503_103031.jpg

20220502_064640.jpg

Awesome, thanks again!  I might just do exactly what you did here.