HybridZ

240z ignition switch not aligning

The steering lock hole on the column and the ignition switch do not line up. It seems that the hole on the column is too high. The ignition switch hits the dash before it get close to the hole. I can force it, but its definitely not in the correct position. This puts it in the wrong position for the steering column cover. When I got the car and took it apart, there was a depression in the dash from the ignition switch pushing into it and no column cover. I am now wondering if the other owner had it forced into place impacting the dash, and could not get the cover to fit. It seems there is only one way the steering column can be installed. I have removed the steering in the past, but I did not disassemble it. Is it possible that the upper half of the column (from the under dash mount) to the driver end has rotated? I believe they are two pieces. But they are locked with a pin or bolt? Any thoughts?

On 9/18/2022 at 2:13 PM, turbo240 said:

Is it possible that the upper half of the column (from the under dash mount) to the driver end has rotated? I believe they are two pieces. But they are locked with a pin or bolt? Any thoughts?

Might be that the column has been partially collapsed.  Read up on how it works.  This is from the 1973 FSM.  I don't know if it stays collapsed or rebounds.

image.png.35565fed3d96f9ce11bc433b7a3e0b1c.png

Yes it is a new IG SW. I thought at first the problem was with switch. The original one does the same thing. In this picture I have the column lowered. The switch is hitting the dash in this position. If I could get the switch to align with the hole, the column is still hanging down about an inch. I don't see how this is going to work. It seems that the lock hole should not be pointing at that upward angle.

ignition sw.jpg

I did not understand what you were describing before.

Any chance that you can just twist the shaft housing using brute force?  Might be that somebody already did and that's why it is not aligned correctly.  Check the mounting bracket for broken welds.  I don't know if it is brazed or tacked in to the mounting bracket but an examination should tell you something.

I have tried to rotate the column. You agree that something doesn't seem right about the location of the lock hole? It needs to be more parallel or down slightly. I have had this column out of the car and I did not notice any thing unusual.