HybridZ

1976 280Z Headlight Issues

Aloha everyone,

Looking for some suggestions on troubleshooting my headlights.  I have the Dapper LED 7's. They worked great until very recently, the low beam and high beam would only work intermittently which was an issue pre-dapper.  The tail lights, parking lights, turn signals, marker lights and all interior lights work great but the lo/hi have now ceased functioning.  I have since following datsundave's videos and have completely cleaned the combo switch/turn signal.  Much crisper now but still no hi/lo.  

-No power to the two headlight fuses on the fuse block.

-Headlight fusible link is receiving 12v on both ends.

-When manually adding a separate external 12v source of power, the hi/lo work great.

-I have cleaned various connectors as related to the headlights on the wiring diagram.

Suggestions?

TIA

*edit; I have replaced all fuses according to FSM

Edited by COOP SNOOP

5 hours ago, COOP SNOOP said:

The power flows from the fusible links through the combo switch then down to the fuse blocks.  It's probably the combo switch.  Broken solder joint or pitted contacts.  Pretty common.  check the solder joint on top of the switch or pop the top off and check the contacts.  Be careful there is a spring and a small plastic piece that are part of the mechanism.  The running lights go through there too.

image.png.a4f6ebafbd78651a4608dc7d9ed64cbd.png

13 hours ago, COOP SNOOP said:

Do you have power to the fuse block now?  Follow the diagram.  If you have power all the way to the headlights then check the grounds on the other side.  The headlights ground through the dimmer switch.  The dimmer switch often gets gunked up over time and does not pass current.  You can sometimes fix it by spraying contact cleaner in to the base of the turn signal stalk and working the lever.

The power comes in to the WR, passes through the switch to the red and heads on down to the fuse block.  Look at at 7 and 6 on the color drawing above.  So either the switch is not working, passing current/voltage, or there's a break in the red wire on its way to the fuse block.  There's a path.  Measure voltage along the path until you find the blockage.

The power goes in to the switch at 7 and comes out at 6.  If you're seeing voltage on 6 at the switch itself when you turn the headlights on, (position 2), but not at the fuse block, then there's a break n the red wire on its way to the fuse block.  It's shown in the wiring diagram.

There is a bullet connector for the red wire right at the steering column.  Maybe it's disconnected.

image.png.71944633274422c3adde0d2d450c7363.png

The dimmer switch is actually at the base of the turn signal stalk.  (I see on the internet that some people are calling the dash light dimmer the dimmer switch).   If you don't see power there it could be because both headlight bulbs are blown.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144728976380?epid=8043522240&hash=item21b284ebfc:g:oYEAAOSwFQZjK2Fc&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoHVMLaVrz1JBk6CI8nY0Kny%2Fm3axWicKVgZ4EjV6EYHyZMGbS4GQUFKn0u8zi5GrAgYmm0TNbU0XTu%2FTc%2FZeH8O0CLWh49TItqhKggk1l7%2BXByzxcj6z90ehTk5MUAL1%2BGqbBykmBM0c1WZR5fx3Gx8lN9X%2BReunD7qkHvlm3n7vW0YMJjXaoX5qWfiB5FVlop3Yl1ItICYOyvCRIjF%2FX9c%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6iH1sn7YA

image.png.064848a7f5fc233db16fab1216308b19.png