HybridZ

Removed HVAC system. Do I need to block off air inlet?

I removed all the HVAC components from my 1976 280z and have no plans to reinstall.  There is now an open hole where the blower connected to the air inlet that runs from under the cowl to inside the car.  Wondering if I should block this off or not.  At speed, will air be moving into the car or out of the car?  I'm also wondering how much air will be moving.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I wouldn't mind a little air movement but don't want a lot.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:57 PM, fusion said:

I removed all the HVAC components from my 1976 280z and have no plans to reinstall.  There is now an open hole where the blower connected to the air inlet that runs from under the cowl to inside the car.  Wondering if I should block this off or not.  At speed, will air be moving into the car or out of the car?  I'm also wondering how much air will be moving.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I wouldn't mind a little air movement but don't want a lot.

I replaced my oe system with vintage air and the open hole has been a source of frustration. Can't remember which, but one of the European datsun builders actually 3D printed a replacement that fed into the vintage air system.

I can confirm after several thousand miles (including round trip down the entire Pacific coast a couple Aprils ago) that you will have plenty of airflow into the car through that hole. In the mornings when it was cool on my pacific coast drive I had to have the heater on all the time. You don't notice it much as driver, but you get a cool breeze on your feet on the passenger side (or a hot breeze if it's summer).

I attempted to just use some heat shield/insulations stuff, but a single drive and the air pressure behind it blew it off. You'll need to cap it off by taking the cowl panel off, or create some kind of plate from the dash side, either way you'll probably be drilling a bit. Only non-intrusive solution would be something like the 3d printed panel feeding into a new fan setup.