HybridZ

What is this connector near the fuses?

Flak

Just need some clarification on the wire that is being held.  It doesn't look like it attaches to the fuse relays. Also, do I need special battery cables?  The wiring diagram says that the battery connects to the fusible links, but I'm not sure how they do.

IMG_20221117_114618.jpg

What year is your vehicle? Hard to help without info since some things changed over the years, and may be different across cars with/without AC, and with/without California emissions stuff. 

You don't need special batter cables, the batter does lead to the fusible links, but not directly. Positive end goes to the starter which goes to the bundle splitting into the fusible links. The fusible links are basically an old version of fuses, but they don't go out in the same way, so sometimes it can be hard to tell unless you measure resistance and continuity across them. 

Most people upgrade the fusible links. There's an example on my Musician's Therapist thread where you can see how I did it, but also here: https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

34 minutes ago, NewZed said:

Look underneath that metal box your arm is lying on and you'll see the EFI relay.

image.png.08aa5a4d67c292d0115787238f431964.png

Actually, are you able to link the green connector I need if you found it?  I can't find anything like it?  Is it just like the normal fusible link connectors with the prong cover on each side?  

8 hours ago, NewZed said:

The part is not available anymore.  You'll have to get two separate green links and make them work.  The separate links are available on the various Z car sites.

What happened to the one that came with the car?

Not completely sure.  Just got this 1978 280z as my first car a few weeks ago and learning what the p/o deleted/had missing.  I know I put both linkages on that plug I'm holding, but how will I connect them to the battery?  Do I just get a fusible link cable with the round head to go to the terminal that sits under the negative battery cable, or do I get a positive battery cable with a pigtail to connect into if I splice the links into a bullet connector end?  Thanks for the help so far btw :), Kinda just throwing myself into the wrenching.

Edited by Flak

There are many ways to get it done.  Just make sure that you follow the wiring diagram.  People have got their +'s and -'s mixed up and created brand new problems.  Nissan didn't use red and black like they do today.  The positive power supply connection looks just like the negative.

If you're putting an EFI 280Z back together you should learn how to use a multimeter and get the FSM and the 1980 EFI Guide.  There will be electrical measurements to take.  The 280Z is one of the best ways to learn about EFI.   Today's cars are computerized but the fuel injection principles are the same as back in the 70's.  The multimeter will be your best friend.