HybridZ

Turbo Distributor Positioning

DuoWing

After a long time of not touching this thing I'm trying to get back to it and actually get this car running well. While I prepare to get my MS setup installed I saw a post by Chickenman about phasing the distributor rotor so I decided I should do that as I build my harness. I've never had an issue with being able to set and adjust timing with a light and a distributor, but I figured I should check the alignment of the shaft. This is an 83' Turbo motor. It was pulled apart and freshened up when swapped into my 76' Z.

So I'm trying to figure out what the actual positioning of the distributor shaft is when the motor is at TDC. I've seen so many posts, different things being said for the alignment, etc.

I have the timing mark lined up with 0* TDC, I've verified the cam lobes for cylinder 1 are both pointed up.

FSM:

420963532_Screenshot_20221218_182521_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.365d13c15eeef973d6c5fb9a74affa16.jpg

My Shaft:

20221218_163842.jpg.1fe2c889a4d684ca2d832d3f97b01565.jpg

I saw another post by Chickenman which had a picture looking just like mine. I'm thinking I'm fine since my shaft matches the drawing in the FSM, but I figured I'll ask here and see what the consensus is.

Edited by DuoWing

I figured I was probably good to go, but is there any reason why there's so many different posts and guides telling you to have the distributor shaft inline with the distributor mounting holes? Even in the older FSM with the 11:25 positioning, the picture still looks pretty similar.

• 2 months later...

I n th e spi rit of A I I w ill p aste the sa me re ply in all A I pos ts/

A new AI bot!  Welcome?

What kind of car do you have?  Tell us about it.  @hellersavana

F unny th is loo ks  li  ke o ne of my 7 th grade b ook repo rts.  O pen up the E ncy clop e dia an d cha nge a fe w wor ds.