HybridZ

Rear axle stuck

Dale280z

I am in the middle of switching over to Milkfab's 280zx axles and have run into a weird problem. I have taken the axles out of this car many times with no problems but now I have the driver side stuck. Some back story. After installing the driver side axel I was had problems getting the passenger side to seat and lock in. After several tries it finally seated but it looked like the driver side might have backed out a little. But I continued on with the install. But when I was tightening the 280zx adapter to axle bolts on the driver side something with the outer CV failed. I have tried to pull this axel out but it is stuck about 3/8" from being seated. Any ideas what is wrong and why I can't pop this thing out? Am I going to pop the diff cover to see what the problem is?

Probably the circlip jammed in there somehow.  An outer groove and an inner groove and a small space in between that is supposed to be too small for the circlip.  Even with the diff cover off you'll probably still have to use brute force to get it out.  What would you take apart to get to the circlip?

I've used an oiled cold chisel as a ramp (wedge is a better word) to pop out the R200 short axles.  Might work for CV axles.  

Edited by NewZed

1 hour ago, NewZed said:

Probably the circlip jammed in there somehow.  An outer groove and an inner groove and a small space in between that is supposed to be too small for the circlip.  Even with the diff cover off you'll probably still have to use brute force to get it out.  What would you take apart to get to the circlip?

I've used an oiled cold chisel as a ramp (wedge is a better word) to pop out the R200 short axles.  Might work for CV axles.  

Thanks. I thought something went wrong with the clip. Did you use the chisel from the outside or though the inside with the other axle removed?

I borrowed this image from an eBay ad.  I stuck the chisel end where the arrow points and wedged the axle out by the flange by tapping the chisel in to the gap.  Can't remember how the ZX CV's look there.

But I do remember using a long punch through a diff to knock out an axle from the other side in a shortnose R200.  It was a viscous diff though and was open through the center.  I think you'd have to remove the center shaft on yours to do that.  That's the other option where you would have to remove the cover and take the shaft out so that you could get a punch through there.

image.png.38ca848b85c23279a975c337d331086b.png

Edited by NewZed

37 minutes ago, NewZed said:

I borrowed this image from an eBay ad.  I stuck the chisel end where the arrow points and wedged the axle out by the flange by tapping the chisel in to the gap.  Can't remember how the ZX CV's look there.

But I do remember using a long punch through a diff to knock out an axle from the other side in a shortnose R200.  It was a viscous diff though and was open through the center.  I think you'd have to remove the center shaft on yours to do that.  That's the other option where you would have to remove the cover and take the shaft out so that you could get a punch through there.

image.png.38ca848b85c23279a975c337d331086b.png

The 280zxt axle does not have a flange like the stock stub axle has. With both axles out I could see all the way through. The diff is a R200 out of a 280zxT with LSD. I tried using a long extension and beat on the inside end of the axle but nothing seemed to move. I have an air hammer with a punch type chisel I might try that tomorrow. Since the axle has a problem, I think the clip that holds the cage in place fell off. I want to send it back to RockAuto but at this point I will do whatever it takes to get that thing out.  

280zxt axle.jpg

Well, that was a lot of panic for no reason. The air hammer would not work, chisel is not long enough so I got out the BAH and the 1/2" socket extension and smacked the inside end of the axle two times and it popped right out. Now of course why did it get stuck in the first place???? 

47 minutes ago, NewZed said:

The new axles probably a have square edge on the circlip groove when there should be a small chamfer.  

Looking at both the stock stub axles and these 280zxt axles I see no chamfer on the stock ones but there looks like there is on the new ones, kind of hard to really tell. BTW where exactly is this circlip inside the diff, I see nothing. 

Should be in the groove inside the side gear.  Drawing below.

280ZXT's did not come with LSD.  They have to have a 300ZXT LSD long nose R200 swapped in or an aftermarket LSD, like Quaife, installed in the R200 case.  Not clear what you're working with.  There are also 1988 300ZX viscous LSD's that use different length axles.  And later 300ZX short nose viscous LSD's that also use different axles, but with the clip installed on the axle, not inside the side gear.

Here, "circular clip*".  From the 1989 FSM.

image.png.c070bd39a58c77b563e91c10e85c6ee4.png