HybridZ

Steering wheel specs?

fusion

I am building a 1976 280z from the ground up.  The car was a roller and didn't come with a steering wheel.  I don't want the factory steering wheel.  I will have power steering so I don't need such a large wheel.  When I look at aftermarket steering wheels, are there certain specs I should be looking for?  Such as attachment to the steering shaft (splines etc), depth of the wheel, horn connection.  At what point does the wheel interfere with seeing the gauges if you go smaller diameter? Anything else?

Thanks

Edited by fusion

Just get an adapter for an S30 that fits the wheel you like. People without power steering commonly go 14". I found myself hitting the door panel when autocrossing, eventually went 13 and liked that better. Had aftermarket gauges, but didn't have any problem seeing them with the 13. It's been a while since I've shopped wheels, but Grant GT wheels have 5 bolts holding the wheel on, MOMO and most other aftermarket wheels have 6 bolts. But find the wheel first, that way you won't be exchanging the adapter.

Gotta do what is comfortable. The adapter adds some thickness too, so if you got a wheel with the same dish as stock and then put a 1" adapter behind it, it's going to be closer than you want. I don't expect there are that many Z people you can ask to sit in their car in MN, but that would be the best option. Quick check shows spacers available, so maybe err on the side of too far away if you're in doubt and then use spacers to bring it back in if needed.

@fusion, do you need measurements from a stock steering wheel?  I think I have one lying around and can measure it for you, if you like.  LMK.

As Jon pointed out....steering wheel positioning (and steering effort) is a highly personal thing.  And it's relational to several other factors, like driver's physical attributes, seating position, and the car's intended application.  What feels right to one person can be horrible for another.

Hmmmm....I don't think they'd be different.  I've used several of the same steering wheels on different years without any issues.  It's possible that our measurements differ by 1 mm because I was measuring the ID of the steering wheel mounting hole vs you measuring the OD of the steering shaft....and they're both splined, which can result in small differences in measures.

There are many hub adapters available to fit the Z; just make sure you get one that has the correct bolt pattern to match whatever aftermarket steering wheel you choose.  Something like this one offers two different bolt patterns for wider compatibility:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/262525631164?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=262525631164&targetid=1645685073808&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9008565&poi=&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073808&abcId=9300841&merchantid=101732007&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUxpzV5oqsS3RU9JHDRjsUVCegH8PwffL3jdbZA6SpbYsds4fwLuodwaAtV7EALw_wcB

If you've been wanting a removable (or tip) steering wheel, now's a good time to do it!  NRG makes some nice, quality hub adapters for that kind of thing.

Yes, many of the cheaper ones work fine…as long as they fit tightly on the splines.  I’ve used a couple of them (like the “Boss”) without any issues.

If you’re considering a removable or tilt hub adapter, I would not go cheap.  The cheap ones don’t lock securely, they don’t last, and can rattle loosely.  I’ve been using an NRG removable hub the last two years and really like it.