HybridZ

Log in says I am a Newbie but have been here since July 28, 2001 and I cant respond to posts

Miles

12 hours ago, Miles said:

Log in says I am a Newbie but have been here since July 28, 2001 and  I cant respond to posts

Is it possible that you were trying to respond to an FAQ post?  The FAQ reply problem has never been resolved.  Your post count still shows.  

I know that after I asked to have my subtitle changed from "Clandestine Moderator" ('cuase people were thinking I was a real moderator) that my new subtitle was Newbie.  Weren't you a real moderator for a while?  Maybe it's just the subtitle change.

41 minutes ago, tube80z said:

I'll see what I can find but I don't really know the rules on why/how the ranking works.

I have over 2000 posts. So not a newbie.

I could  not respond to any posts.

21 minutes ago, NewZed said:

Is it possible that you were trying to respond to an FAQ post?  The FAQ reply problem has never been resolved.  Your post count still shows.  

I know that after I asked to have my subtitle changed from "Clandestine Moderator" ('cuase people were thinking I was a real moderator) that my new subtitle was Newbie.  Weren't you a real moderator for a while?  Maybe it's just the subtitle change.

1 hour ago, Miles said:

Saw the same reply three times.  So, it is possible.

Not sure you understood my point about the subtitle/name/label change.  For whatever reason, after a name change it seems the forum software re-labels people as Newbies.  I don't really get much from the labels anyway.  Moderators can label you, or the forum software has default labels.  I am, apparently, a "Members" now.  Plural.  What does that mean?

17 hours ago, NewZed said:

Saw the same reply three times.  So, it is possible.

Not sure you understood my point about the subtitle/name/label change.  For whatever reason, after a name change it seems the forum software re-labels people as Newbies.  I don't really get much from the labels anyway.  Moderators can label you, or the forum software has default labels.  I am, apparently, a "Members" now.  Plural.  What does that mean?

Does it matter? I was a newbie with 13K posts a while back, now I'm a "Collaborator." I haven't found that my coffee tastes different in the morning. ;) YMMV.

EDIT--I expect that your inability to reply was to a FAQ post. Used to be that posts to that forum had to be approved by moderators, the idea was to keep that area easy to search, and use it for useful posts that deal with popular topics. Now anyone can post there and it shows up without approval, but nobody can respond.

Edited by JMortensen

1 hour ago, JMortensen said:

Does it matter?

That's my point.

I wonder if people see different things under their name than the general public sees.  Or maybe tube80z changed a global parameter and everybody's subtitle changed.  Your subtitle is "Donating Members" now.

image.png.84970528aab4e8cae89779eafa362fc8.png

I added points to a few of you to get the new status you see.  There's a system in place that adds points for various things but I don't know if it always works.  It appears it was all reset at some point.  Maybe a software update lost it all.  Like Jon said it doesn't change your ability to post.  I'd like to change it so new users can't until they are validated to reduce spam but I haven't found that setting.  And I don't think I'd change things unless getting Dan's blessing that it made sense.

3 hours ago, tube80z said:

I added points to a few of you to get the new status you see.  There's a system in place that adds points for various things but I don't know if it always works.  It appears it was all reset at some point.  Maybe a software update lost it all.  Like Jon said it doesn't change your ability to post.  I'd like to change it so new users can't until they are validated to reduce spam but I haven't found that setting.  And I don't think I'd change things unless getting Dan's blessing that it made sense.

Thanks for the fix and update.