HybridZ

LS1 RPM

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all

Does anyone have experience with the latest plain mustang, cobra and LS1 motors for a comparison?

I had set my heart on a high reving ford engine, but I have a line on a complete 01 camero setup and no nice fords at the moment.

Do the LS1 motors like to spin or is it cheep to make them do so ?

Thanks Mike

Guest Anonymous

The LS1 is a pushrod motor, and the Fords I believe your talking about are DOHC V8's. The DOHC motor will obviously rev higher and breath better on top.

It will also be weaker down low than the LS1 by a bunch (extra cube's don't hurt at all). So, as you can see we sort of are talking apples and oranges here.

There may be a few more performance goodies for the Ford Motor I havn't kept up on either the LS1 or the DOHC performance parts not having either one.

Either would suit a Z just fine, just depends on what you like, you'll be the one working on it. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I can only speak on the LS1's.. With free-flowing heads, a cam, and a good exhaust (PCM tuning a given), they are shifting at 6500rpm, and making good power up there... Oh, and they are making over 400RWHP in the process... icon_eek.gif

The LS1 is a much better breathing powerplant than the LT1's, especially up high.. They react VERY well to the basic stuff too!

And as for parts, there's TONS and TONS! icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, don't count out the Cobra motor. The LS1 is indeed potent stock but to really push it you're going to be getting into the motor - be sure to check prices on parts icon_eek.gif I've seen a few LS1 on the dyno - 320RWHP with a few mods is the norm. A couple with headers didn't even beat that for some reason. Freeing the intake tract with a filter lid is a sold RWHP gain. 100horse NOS is good for about 120added RWHP and a ton of torque. A Camaro guy I know says he won't do more than bolt-ons to his LS1 because he thinks the motor isn't a real good foundation to build on. (shrug) Cruise the Camaro boards to find out more.

Cobras, stock ARE putting out less power. Slap a set of 4.30s in the back and you may surprise a few LS1s though! These things come with like 3.27 gears from the factory and rev to the moon, duh. Blown Cobras make BIG power - they breathe great. However again you'll be into the motor and parts aren't cheap. Blown Cobras can make 600+RWHP but expect to replace rods, pistons, and pay for a blower icon_sad.gif

Stock vs Stock I'm not sure which I'd rather have in a Z. Either will pound most OEM cars out of the box in a Z. The Cobra will rev higher more smoothly though and that's pretty cool. Imagine the surprise when you pop the hood too icon_wink.gif DOHC w/a T56 - hrm! I guess I'm a Ford guy at heart still...

i was in my buddies bone stock ss maro when he raced a s281 with after market supercharger( he popped his hood before we ran), and he smoked that thing light after light, we ran em about six lights, ran three intersections, and both cars were going for the gold, and that s281 had nothing for an ls1.

Umm, S281s are slow. They use an Eaton supercharger that's nicknamed the "superheater", have no intercooling (has that changed?), and they use a SOHC engine instead of a DOHC engine. Oh, and they leave the rear gears alone. What exactly was your point?

Race an S281 against a stock DOHC Cobra - 3 guesses which gets stomped. The SOHC GTs are better than they were before but I wouldn't own one of them over the DOHC Cobra.

Tell ya' what - put that LS1 up against an 02 Lightning truck. Hey, it's 4K+lbs icon_wink.gif The LS1 might be very surprised. Stock Lightnings are making a 360RWHP and a ton of torque. Apples and Oranges again though.

I watched a string of about 6 LS1 Camaros dyno one day. 320RWHP was the norm and most had filter lids (if you own an LS1 buy this!), exhaust (some had headers), MAF ends, and a couple had "power programming" done (lol). The one who sprayed made over 400RWHP but naturally aspirated made about 306RWHP. I'm thinking the junk he had tacked onto his MAF to adjust the signal was hurting him icon_rolleyes.gif The highest NA LS1 they had on the dyno that day that I heard about made 340-360RWHP. A blower car would've been a really cool sight but none showed that I know of.

Stock for stock the DOHC revs higher and smoother.Coupled with a T56 and the right gears it's an awesome combo. We're looking for revs here right?

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by FL327:

revs, fine.

did see a modded up lightning hang toe to toe with a z06 at the track, finishing up like

13.09 to the vettes 12.9, vette got smoked at teh gate and bearly pulled it out on top.

That means the guy in the Vette couldn't drive! icon_smile.gif