HybridZ

SDS system......bracket for crank sensor ?'s

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All,

I am probably going with the SDS system and was wondering about...........

"The E system requires fabrication of a bracket to mount the crank sensor and installation of trigger magnets into the crank pulley."

Does anyone that has done this have a pic of what it looked like when it was done? And who did you have do the magnets on the pulley if you did not do them your self?

I am still gathering info and making plans to put a 83 turbo motor in my 75. I like Scottie-GNZ's origional setup and I guess I am going to try and follow in his foot steps.

Any input on this part of the job would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

hey, i just finished making my bracket a couple of days ago turned out awesome and real easy. I decided to mount the bracket so it read the magnets from the back of the pulley. I located it directly opposite the timing gauge on two timing cover bolts that were the same height. I cut two brass sleeves to length to space out a 1/4" steel plate which i cut to size. After tapping holes for the sensor and painting it up it looks great and should work great i cant budge it, even by hitting it with a hammer. I see if i can get some pics up for you tonite.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Drax240Z and 240hoke thanks for the replies!!!

Did either of you install the magnets yourselves?How long did it take/how hard was it to do?

Any pics would be sweet. My motor is in storage an hour away so I need to plan ahead before going out each time to work on it. Thanks for all the help so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I installed the magnets my self, i thought it was pretty easy. I made a templet out of cardboard to match the pully exactly using calipers and a compass. Make sure you mark the TDC and your Hall sensor position, also scribe a circle the exact O.D. of the hub. From there you can make the rest of your measurements, cut out the center, slip it over the pulley and mark. Double check all your marks and drill. I used the stock pulley and there was a solid steel plate on the back about 4mm thick i dont know its purpose but thats where i put my magnets. I could only get them 3-3.5mm deep which left 3mm sticking out above the pulley. I called sds and they said it was fine just to make sure there is plenty of epoxy to hold them in. I took a few pics of my bracket but i hafta find the cable, hopefully i can post them for you today.

Guest Anonymous

Hey 240hoke and Stony,

Thanks for those pics. They really help out alot!!!I have opened up a big can of worms with this project. Its all going to be learning curve. Yeah haaaaa.......

Stony your set up looks simple.

240hoke nice looking motor my fellow z car fan!!!!Clean on the sensor bracket too.

Well I have to get my motor on the stand and start cleanning it up. I am sure there will be more to do and buy before it finally goes in the car...................

Once again thanks guys for the pics and more importantly for the advice/help.

Wow, I had no idea that everyone else did the same thing I did for the pully mount :D:D I hadnt asked anyone and that is where I put mine too. almost identical to 240hoke's but mine is shiny aluminum rockon.gifrockon.gif I mounted my magnets myself by making a template and laying it over the pully. I really have been thinking about ordering new magnets and re-doing it (the depths are all a little different from eachother) I do have to say planning all the mounts/magnets was the hardest part of the install. Everything else is easy as pie cheers.gifcheers.gif

Hopefully mine will get fired up agian this weekend.... its only been a year and a half frown.gif

Later!

~Kenny

{EDIT}~ lets see if I can get my sig fixed malebitchslap.gif

Guest Anonymous

I was jsut curious. Did any one try to use the 83zxt crank sensor (in the distributor) and hook it up to the SDS ECU instead of using the magnetic unit that is supplied.

How many pick ups does the SDS have 6?