HybridZ

Will stock 280ZXT engine in a 240Z outrun...

Jwink25

I want to know just how fast a 240Z can be with a mostly stock 280ZX Turbo engine. I am just dying to get my Z up and running. I am working on gathering parts for a V8 conversion but, until that happens, I would like to drive my Z. So...

I have a 1982 280Z Turbo engine laying around, why not drop that in until the V8 gets built. I want to know if it's really worth the trouble. I will have to drop some cash into to get it working. But! I don't want to bother with it if it's not gonna at least out run 5.0 Mustangs. I also have an 80 or 80 5 speed b_hand.gif and a 3.90 R200. So with all of these parts...can I out run the 5.0s? Thanks! 2thumbs.gif

A freind of mine is running a stock 280ZXt motor in his 240Z. He's running 10psi without an intercooler without any problems (I wouldn't go any higher than that). After a local cruise night last year, he had no problem keeping up with a real nice 396 Camaro that was getting on it, and that was when he was running 7psi.

A stock ZXt motor will give abot the same seat of the pants feel as a stock Chevy 350 crate motor. A real nice feeling I might add...

Pete

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

81 280zx non-turbo ECM, stock turbo stock injectors, MSD6AL, bronz clutch Centerforce pressure plate, MSD pump, 100hp NOS wet system = 11.49 @119mph, low 12's on the motor. Yes you can beat a Mustang.

I dropped a bone stock 82 zxt motor in my '76 280z. with 2.5" exhaust and k&n I ran a 14.9 with a crappy 2.26 60' time. This was with stock 7 pounds of boost. with good launch I think it would have done 14.7. intercooling and boosting to about 12 psi should drop you a second or so.

Garrett

Am I the only one crazy enough to push 15psi with no IC? bonk.gif ...I guess so lol. Anyway, that will all change soon after my NPR and other goodies arrive to my front door. Now back to the topic at hand. To be blunt, Mustangs where not a problem when I was running 12psi with no IC. Granted I'm not exactly sure if these where modified Mustangs but they shure where loud coollook.gif I loved racing these guys because for the most part their cool guys...I just loved to see the look on their faces when they realized that she wasn't slow lol... cheers.gif

PS. forgot to mention. TURN UP YOUR BOOST IN INCREMENTS...this is what I did and made sure that I set it to where I didn't get any pinging. Use the highest octane gas you can get your hands on (+ additives) and always pay attention to your air/fuel mix gauge and most importantly LISTEN TO YOUR ENGINE. The minute you hear pinging, you better be fast enough to let off...I have had my engine ping one time when it spiked to 17psi but didn't result in blowing the motor :eek: but yes I almost pooped my pants lol. Also, all Z engines act differently depending on it's environment...for example, I can run 15psi all day long with no IC here in Las Vegas but when I went to San Diego I could only boost 12 without pinging. I've been told that the difference in elevation is one of the factors.