HybridZ

Hemi Z

Z-Gad

Has anyone checked into swapping a Hemi (426 in my dreams) into a Z? Would size be the limiting factor, or is there a problem with alternator/distributor placement? I have always lusted for the hemi's, but a Hemi Z, now we're talking!! Although I am in the middle of my current project, I still have dreams... icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

It can be done but you will need to construct a tube chassis to keep this torque monster from twisting your z into a pretzel.

Guest Anonymous

trust me my man i am a mopar enthusiest and i have drooled over that particular idea many a cold night icon_smile.gif and while it would be a wild ride i think it would be extremely traction defecient. but then again if i could do it i probably would. i saw a mag that showcased a quad turbo 426 that pushed 1400HP!!! and managed to net 20MPG!!

the two limiting factors would have to be size/weight and of course that whole $14,000 pricetag tends to discourage my bank account icon_sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

The 426 is the widest of the Hemi lot. Its just to big without major front end/firewall/subframe/rollcage/rear end work. The 331/354/392 etc would be a tad smaller, but still they are major lumps of iron, and as mentioned even a stock crate motor is over 12k. Unless your looking to be a funnycar pilot, I'd look at a poked and stroked 360, built right it'll give you all the pucker factor you'll need, if not, a blower or Squeeze could. Not trying to shatter anyones idea at all, hey if you have the deep pockets for it, go for it, but man its overkill I'm telling ya. Just an opinion...

Respectfully,

Lone

Agreed, it would be overkill. You are also correct on the crate motor...I've been looking and they are EXPENSIVE! However, I do have a rolling chassis where I have replaced everything but the hatch, roof and hood. Since it is stripped to bare metal (for a few years now...), I have had some time to decide on a powerplant. I have been mulling over possibilities for motors and the Chevy, Ford, Buick, etc swaps would be more than enough for me and they are becoming better documented everyday here, but the Hemi would be unique, at least for a little while...

Could you imagine the looks on the Mopar guys faces to see a Hemi stuffed into a Z body!! (Hemi would have to be written on the rear quarters of course just like the old mopars)

Guest Anonymous

That probably sounded harsh, didn't mean it to if it did, sorry, but yeah I can see them looking in awe at a hemi stuffed into a Z. icon_smile.gif If you want to go big mopar that might fit a tad better and don't mind the moving of the firewall a bit, I'd look at the 440, they are stroking them pretty darn big (over 500 inch, but one in particular caught my eye at www.speedomotive.com a 494 inch stroked 440). Another big one that is supposedly pretty good is the stroked 400, they take it to 450 inches. Smallblock strokers, how about a 550 horse 340 stroked to 392? All of them could probably be put together for a 1/3 the price of that elephant motor. Not as cool looking granted, but just as fast... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

actually lone the stroker kit i've seen takes the 340 up to 408 inches but i'm sure they make the 392 kit as well. i've thought about the 451 as well, they take a 400 block (bore on that thing is 4.34!) and slap in a 440 crank and rods with the 400 pistons.

i recently was corresponding with a shop owner who put one of those into a rx7 and he said after years of building 440s that one 451 convinced him to never bother building a 440 again icon_smile.gif he told me they rev like a totally different kind of animal here is a pic to show you the differance in weight. the smaller skirted pistons are for the 451 and the larger ones are off a 440

piston.jpg

That 345 looks really nice in there. The Hemi orange and the yellow engine compartment are making my eyes tear...beautiful, just beautiful

thanks Pete for the Scott's name...I'll drop him a line to see how much butter was needed to grease that 440 into the engine compartment.

Guest Anonymous

I could be wrong, but I think thats a earlier red ram or De Soto type hemi they put in that Z. They were smaller dimensionally I believe and displaced like 241 and 276 inches. Heres a couple picts for comparison:

redramlf.jpg

The 331,354 and 392 looks more like this:

hemieng1.jpg

Regards,

Lone