HybridZ

Other V8 conversions...

Guest Anonymous

Guest John Adkins

quote:

Originally posted by v-8 Zfreak:

i'm gonna run the 318 block for the main reason that i can get it for free
icon_smile.gif
and i know what is wrong with this motor. it threw a rod right out of the oil pan.
icon_eek.gif
it has a nice big hole in the pan but the block looks good. plus all i really need is a block since i'm doing all the stuff i've mentioned. when i put the forged bottom end in i can have the block bored out to the same size piston diam. as the 360 (they were all the same block so it shouldn't pose a problem) and get that nice drop in prices for the pistons
icon_smile.gif

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can bore a 318 out to a 4.00" bore unless you have the MP race block which has thicker cylinder walls. Boring a 318 out to 360 piston size is a .090" overbore! There is the option of a stroker kit to bring a 318 up to 350 Speedomotive has them But free is a very good price on an engine core icon_biggrin.gif , so I see why you want to use the 318...

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest Anonymous

belive it or not i have a friend that is running a 318 with .090 of overbore! and whats more, he told me the machinist said he had another .060 left to go before he would have to worry about wall thickness.

Guest John Adkins

What year 318 block is it? I'm curious which 318 blocks are that thick! I've heard the early ones ('67-73) have thicker cylinder walls....

Guest Anonymous

that motor i was refering to is sitting in a lil' red express truck. i know he had taken out the original 360 that was in the truck and put that 318 in there to be able to drive it while he does a 500HP edelbrock motor kit (i think that is what he is planning for the origianl 360) to the 360. i'm not sure of the year on that 318 block but if you give me a day or two i can get ahold of him to find out for sure. off the topof my head, i think he said it was a '76 block