HybridZ

mopar 360

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just purchased a 72 240 and am currently planning on installing a 360 in my z. This is of course after completing the bodywork. floors and rear wheel wells. I really don't know if this belong in the chevy forum but it's the closest mopar gets. My plans call for around 300hp at the rear tires. This will go through a 833 OD. If you are wondering why I chose mopar the reason is simple. A friend has numerous 360's and a couple aluminum case 833. if anyone knows where I can get a set of block huggers for a chrysler let me know. As for now I am planning on factory truck manifolds. thanks for the help.

Guest Anonymous

Glad to see another v8 in the works.Mabey they will have to add a mopar section if there is intrest.

Please document and photo all of your work for future refence.

A friend of mine was interested in doing the mopar swap but didn't have the guts to do it by himself.

Not being a mopar fan but curious did any of the small block mopars come with shaft mounted rocker arm.I saw a picture once and was wondering if that was stock or what?

Also what are some of the popular rocker arm ratios for dodge?

Guest Anonymous

Don't know much about the engines myself that is where the friend comes in. He has forgotten more than I will probably ever know. Having him tell me what can be done to the engines got me pretty excited. I would love to find a set of X heads off a 340 68-71. Big valves lots of flow and they are stock. It's too bad they didn't make more of the 340s little revvy motor and it had a stock crank up till 71. My first choice for a motor would be one of those and there is one right next to my z right now but it's for my fathers Cuda.

One thing you can do is to use the search function and look up everything that has been said about the Mopar swap possibility. It is viable, and someone has to pave the way. Just understand that the swap will not be easy and it is not really documented anywhere that I know of. I suggest you buy the JTR manual to get a really good idea of what an engine swap will entail, and use some of the great ideas in that publication. You will have to fabricate engine and tranny mounts, etc. etc.

Please document the swap as you go and then post your findings on a web site or even here in the forum. That way, others may benefit from your knowledge.

Enjoy the ride!

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Very cool motor indeed. Had I known about the 4sp OD manual they have, I would have been tempted to go Mopar. BTW, Ford made a few 4sp OD boxes as well, sorry I can't recall the year but think it was late 70's, not sure to they're torque ratings either, but may research it for grins.

Regards and good luck,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

just my .02 cents here but i whole heartedly agree with having a mopar section set up for us mopar men. that way we can have the whole "big three" representated icon_biggrin.gif

also to let you guys know i'm taking some college courses on bodywork and automotive and we have to bring a car to do the work on so geuss what i will be using icon_smile.gif expect a lot of photos some time in the future here since the swap should really pick up speed with me doing this. I've even got the idea of putting "fubar mopar" across the sunvisor strip of the windshield.

Guest John Adkins

Hedman just came out with a Mopar small block hugger.(part # 78130) They are about 99.00 at Summit. However, they are backordered... icon_sad.gif But maybe they are available somewhere else?

Sanderson headers also makes Mopar SB block huggers. They are more expensive, but probably better quality than the Hedmans...

sanderson SB Mopar block huggers

I'm putting a 318 and A833OD in my 240Z hopefully I'll be able to start soon

(wife and kids sure take up lot of my free time icon_rolleyes.gif ) I'm going to use truck manifolds , at least until I find somewhere the Hedman block huggers aren't back ordered...

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest John Adkins

quote:

Originally posted by zman:

Not being a mopar fan but curious did any of the small block mopars come with shaft mounted rocker arm.I saw a picture once and was wondering if that was stock or what?

Also what are some of the popular rocker arm ratios for dodge?

All Mopar SBs up till the late model Magnums (early 90s) had shaft mounted rockers... The Magnums have stud mounted rockers like the Chevy & Ford Small blocks...

Guest Anonymous

read a article in one of my mopar magazines today and it show one of the weaknesses of the O.D. trans. Aparently they have a .005 clearence in the countershaft so everytime torque gets transfered it slams the countershaft in the case. After a while the hole gets enlarged and the tranny goes boom. The gave a pretty easy fix if you aren't afraid of the machine shop. They machine a steel bushing to fit over the countershaft and then bore out the case to accept the bushing. thanks for the info on the headers.

Guest John Adkins

I had heard something like this before; the aluminum case transmissions aren't as quite as strong as the iron case versions just because aluminum is a softer material than cast iron. But it seems to me it would take some MAJOR abuse to elongate the countershaft holes in the case enough to destroy the trans....

What magazine and issue is that article in?

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

Guest Anonymous

mopar muscle september issue. Doesn't seem like it would be very costly to do the fix. Better safe than sorry. This is the first bad thing I have ever heard about these trannys. I had always heard they were pretty much unbreakable. It also says how to change the shift pattern which is easy. For some reason the factory put OD where third is supposed to be and third is where OD is supposed to be. Maybe it was just the gas crunch cars so people saved gas by going right to overdrive. Easy fix thought.

Guest John Adkins

Thanks for the magazine info...

I always thought it was pretty ingenious the way the engineers converted the standard 4 speed into an 3 spd +OD by switching 3rd and 4th gear and making old 3rd gear overdrive. That way they didn't have to come up with an entirely new trans for overdrive. It's also good for us do it yourselfers because it's backwards compatible! Ford did a similar thing with their Toploader. I don't know if GM had something similar but probably...

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]