HybridZ

Putting a 360 mopar in a 77 280z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, here we go.... I've been toying with the idea of putting a mopar in a 280z for a while now and have just made the final decision to...as Nike would say "Just do it". Here's why, I happen to like mopar and more importantly everyone has advised me not to do it. They say it's too difficult. I've just aquired a 77' 280z in fair to good condition, the frame and under side of the car are perfect. I purchased the car in boxes (got a good deal). I also have a 360cid with 518 automatic w/od. Seems like a good idea.

No matter what anyone says, this is going to happen. I am open for any and all bits of advise from anyone who has done or is trying the mopar V8 conversion. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Not only am I going to do this, I am going to try and put as much information as I can on my web site. Hopefully it will help to motivate others to the dark side, I mean to mopar. I’ll post the site when I get it up and running. :D

I DARE YOU TO DO IT!!!! I think it is a great idea to mopar this car!!Personally I would prefer to see a 340 but run what you brung so 360 it. Custom the mounts wouldn't be hard I made my front engine plate in a weekend and it really does the job. It bolts between the waterpump and block , had the waterpump miolled down the thickness of the plate and the chev small block has two low down pairs of bolts on the block beside the balancer so those were also used(no milling there). It bolts to the frame rails and the trans mount from the datsun trans fit the 200r mount without mods. Mopar will probably be a little different but the outline should work for you?? Good luck and ask all the ????you want!! I will be follwing so keep us posted. cheers.gifcheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Drewz…Here’s the plan for this month. By the end of the month I hope to get my web site up and have some initial pictures of what I am starting with. coollook.gif

Guest Anonymous

yo good luck and anyone that says you can't do it is a wimp

if you have a spair block strip it down and use it to mock ( or mark ) it up

jack up the rear to get it to sit at the angel your going run at

but what do i know

only dropped a stage 1 455 in a hornet

and a GTO motor in a 83 A body with the A/C

and have a 455 going in to a ZX soon

spent 10 years hearing you CAN,T DO THAT

now they just walk away saying something about drugs

good luck cheers.gif

If you mock up a core be sure to have some essentials on it for clearance purposes. Like the oil pan, ex. manifolds if you aren't going headers etc. That is how I did my plate config. Oil sump location in relation to the rack assembly is an issue as well as steering column it ex. manifold/ header clearance. Good luck DOOD!!! cheers.gifcheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys.. If you would like to follow my progress, or the progress of another z car enthusiast that lives across the street from me (Sam), here is the site that I promised. www.songne.net Please remember that I am into cars, so be gentle with the criticism on the site. Really, all suggestions about the car or the site will be welcomed.

Guest Anonymous

I have considered a big block but after considering it against the small block, the choice was simple. In other words I am going with the easier conversion, at least for this back yard mechanic.

I was amazed how tight that Barracuda's engine bay is! The inner fenders extend so far inboard, that even the stock (or stock-appearing) exhaust is a tight fit - and that does not look like a wide engine. How did people ever shove a 426 Hemi in there?

If a Crysler big block can be made to fit into the Barracuda, for sure it will fit in the Z.

Guest Anonymous

Michael,

It’s not as tight in person as it looks in the pictures. Everything on the barracuda is stock, except for the carb and electronic ignition. Plymouth gained space in the engine bay by loosing the power steering for the big block and there were more mods for the hemi. I’m pretty convinced that I could get a big block in (my choice would be a 383cid) the z car relatively easy, only a little more headache than the small block. I choose the 360cid small block because I have one sitting around doing nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

First post . The 360 I built to use in wifes tow car but haven't run yet has cut down +.030 340 pistons +.070 for 360 ported J heads 2.02in 1.6ex by my calculations 11.5/1 comp designed for Lpgas single plane Edelbrock torquer manifold, standard 360 cast exhaust manifolds (bigger dia than 318) :roll: . Would be cheap conversion with 727 trans but think torque would require to much stengthening in280zx 2+2 convertable. Manual tremec conversion also too expensive. Thought I would use quad cam Lexus v8 as also cheap and better suited to R200 gearing.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest GLHS895

so a mopar V8 has already been done in a Z? any detailed info on it? i'm a big mopar fan, and when i get a Z to do a V8 swap that would be the motor of choice :twisted: