HybridZ

16 muffler performance test

Guest Big Phil

Guest Big Phil

Last month Mustang 5.0 magazine tested 16 high performance mufflers. The test vehicle was a modified 5.0 mustang with dual exhaust using 2 1/2 inch mufflers. The true standout during the test was the Borla Pro XS muffler. It was one of the best performers (top three in horsepower and torque). It was also the lightest (7 1/2 pounds) the shortest (14" long) and the quietest (at idle, 2000rpm and WOT).They retail for around $100 each. They actually out performed Borla XR-1 race muffler which cost 50 bucks more.

So if you looking for a compact quiet high performing muffler, you might want to take a look at these. I am going with a pair of 2 1/2 inch units on my ride.

Borla Pro XS specs

Guest 2002sentraSER

does anyone have any opinions about glass pack mufflers except for being really loud are they good for flow and for weight and space issues on a z because i can get a dual 21/2 inch exhaust headers back with no cats and two glass pack mufflers installed for like 400 is that a good deal

I run flowmasters. I'm running 2 1/2" duels out the back from Hooker long tube headers. The standard flowmasters are kind of restrictive but the ones I'm running are not.

Look at the newest summit catalogue they are listed in there somewhere. They do not sound so much like flowmasters. They are very small so as to fit in tight places. I think mine are 9x9x3"

two chamber race mufflers.

Funny thing is my buddies run flowmasters and the drone is terrible but mine are so much more quieter with little or no drone.

They are loud outside of the car though.

Mike