HybridZ

OZ WB O2 UD

240Z Turbo

UD is for Update, just wanted to be cool so you all would like me! HEHE! So, TimZ and I recieved our 4boards(no parts) and I am about 75% finished with the 1st board. There are a few things not mentioned in the article that you have to do. Luckily for me, Dr. Thagard(DAD), is also an EE professor at FSU and is helping me. More like I sat there and watched. We have all the parts needed at our house to build the 1st board. What TimZ and myself are changing is the output voltage that is normally between 1.4V-2.9V we are making into a 0-1V so that it can be directly read by the Electromotive for tuning. I should be done with the board by Tuesday and after I order the damn O2 I will post the results. You really need some EE skills to complete the task. I would be stopping to ask many questions had the pops not been there. Will keep you updated. Wow, for about $150 worth of parts and your time you can have wide band technology for your car.

ROTFL! You're the guy on the TechEdge mailing list I replied to?! Ha! That funny icon_wink.gif

Okay, I have to ask here because on the worlkdwide list it would be embarrassing... which damned transistor is the right one in step one? It's been 12years since I did this in tech school but I swear only one of those little suckers looks like it's setup for power switching and it's NOT the one they're calling for...

"U4 the 78L08 regulator note - U4's silk screened outline is rotated 180° to its corrrect orientation" <-- which blasted bugger is that?

I feel so stupid but none of the transistors I've got in any of my kits have numbers that match that. I'm half ready to turn this project over to a friend who's doing this kind of thing everyday but that just seems too easy. A set of Heathkit style instructions would've been nice cry2.gif

TIA!

These are the only components to be installed in step 1:

Capacitors (- side is denoted on the capacitor)

Resistors (polarity not important)

U4(78L08 regulator) will resemble the 2N3904 and 2N3906's. Most decent voltmeters will let you know if your 2N3904 & 2N3906 are PNP or NPN. The regulator should have markings, but I will check later.

** The following components can be soldered in (working from left to right) C15 (0.1 uF), U4 the 78L08 regulator , C13 (10 uf), C12 (22/25 uF), R33 (10 ohms), and R28 & R29 (both 10 k).

** (note: U4's silk screened outline is rotated 180° to its corrrect orientation)

This means the silkscreen is correct and not the location guide in this case. BTW, what transistor are you referring to?

Hrm, it's U4 I cannot figure out. I've got a flat transistor with a heatsink on it w/bolt hole that I know isn't it and a handful of transistors. Not sure which of those is the correct pice for step one. Pathetic I know but kripes it's been a LONG time (sigh). Feel like I'm stuck on first base here - the edge connectors were cake to install as was the cap. Come to think iof it I'd better check polarity (smack). Was one of the small blue ones so it's not like I've got to worry about it popping in my face but still...

Hrm, and as I interpeted the blurb about the silkscreen I believe that the PCB silkscreen shows the regulator turned around 180 and that you need to solder it in bassackwards from what's on the board surface - yes?

** Hrm, it's U4 I cannot figure out. I've got a flat transistor with a heatsink on it w/bolt hole that I know isn't it and a handful of transistors.

Yea, that flat thing is the LM317(3-AMP Adjustable regulator TO-220). It gets attached to your heatsink. U4 is the LM78L08(8V regulator) and it looks exactly like the 2N3906 and 2N3904. They are all round with a flat spot on one side. It is a 3pin jobber.

** Not sure which of those is the correct piece for step one.

For all the round 3pin jobbers with the flatspot on 1 side, list the writing on each one for me and I can let you know. Otherwise you can use your voltmeter to figure it out. I will get the pops to give me the test.

** Pathetic I know but kripes it's been a LONG time (sigh).

Yes, it is true...you are pathetic! HEHE!

As if I would have figured any of it out myself!

** Feel like I'm stuck on first base here

It is ok if this project resembles your sex life. I will try to give you the answers this evening so you can proceed.

** the edge connectors were cake to install as was the cap. Come to think iof it I'd better check polarity (smack).

Yes, the caps have the Negative terminal usually marked on the side of the cap itself.

Was one of the small blue ones so it's not like I've got to worry about it popping in my face but still...

** Hrm, and as I interpeted the blurb about the silkscreen I believe that the PCB silkscreen shows the regulator turned around 180 and that you need to solder it in bassackwards from what's on the board surface - yes?

NO! It says, "note: U4's silk screened outline is rotated 180° to its corrrect orientation."

This means that the silkscreen is correct on the board, whereas the location guide is not correct. The only part that is silkscreened incorretly is U2 where it says, "note: U2's silk screened outline is rotated 180° from its corrrect orientation." Therefore, you need to rotate U2 180° from how the silkscreen is done. U2 is one of your 14pin chips. Look at this pic,

consbrd1.jpg

see how both the 14pin chips have the little notch facing the left. This is correct, whereas the silkscreen says U2's notch faces to the right.

pcb1.jpg

Use the force LUKE!

Okay, I WUSSED icon_biggrin.gif The kit is now in the hands of a friend who sleeps and breathes this stuff. Since I can now GIVE him one of the kits in exchange for his labor with no qualms this is good icon_smile.gif

I did understand the part about the ICs, that was cool but I guess I misunderstood the part about the small regulator. He'll figure it out I'm betting (lol). Plan is for him to build one and then on the last two for me I'll probably just dupe his work (shrug). I'll let you know how it goes, I won't hear form him until Monday though as he's taking tomorrow off. My fingers are crossed but I know his knowledge exceeds mine in this. bonk.gif