HybridZ

What alternator

240Z Turbo

I believe it's a 10si or 12si (Delco Remy).

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to adapt it from the nissan wiring to the GM one wire setup.

Craig can ya explain what's needed? Is it included in some form of a kit? I'm very interested in changing over because it looks like I'm gonna need a new alternator again soon.

Guest Anonymous

The bracket used the GM 10si and 12si alternators. I have had some customers that even used it to mount up the later model CS series alternators off of the serpentine belt vehicles.

The bracket includes all spacers and bolts to mount up the alternators. All bolts are stainless.

The wiring is a bit more tricky and, unfortunately, every model year of Z car was different from any other in this area. I have a lot of info on my site that should help you out.

Also, you could always go with a older GM non-regulated alternator and continue to use the Datsun external regulator. It would just be a direct hook-up.

Guest Anonymous

Sean: I was referring to the 77 and earlier cars that came with an external voltage regulator. 78 and later cars were equipped with the internally regulated alternator which makes things MUCH easier.

I am not sure if you are asking about pricing on the alternator or the bracket but, just in case, the bracket is $89.95. That includes stainless bolts (to mount it to the block and to bolt up the GM alt) as well as the appropriate steel spacers to achieve pulley alignment.

The beauty is that once you have a GM alternator, you can have them serviced inexpensively and can get cool stuff like billet fans and pulleys. Don't forget readily available powdercoated or chromed alternator housings, either. Powdercoated alts are $99 from Summit.

Guest Anonymous

Sean: Boy, do I wish I had instructions for every year! I have heard so many conflicting reports that I just gave up. I have instructions for the 77 280 on my website, though. I even show how to convert to a MAXI fuse block instead of keeping the fusible links. If you are gutting the wiring or making a new harnes, it won't really matter.

The best thing to do is state your model year here and see what folks have to say. Matter of fact, if folks here have modified their stock wiring to a GM or late model Nissan alternator, PLEASE post how you did it.

I will document any and all information and put it on my site for all to use and, of course, will give full credit to those who might post.

• 2 weeks later...

sean-the zxt you have has a 85 amp alt from factory with ir from factory.thats is what i run on my car and it runs a/c and headlights at same time no problem.the gm system would be your best bet to run a big stereo system though.DO NOT buy reman alternators from kragen,pep boys and those kind of places unless you want to change them alot.