HybridZ

need the efi god's advice

scottyMIz

ok guys i have the turbo all set in the mazda b2000 and i'm having troubles with the carb it's not made for all this boost and it's putting gas out some holes that i never knew could.Here's the question can i use the efi harness from my 76 280z that i pulled for the turbo harness?I have all the stuff still and figure i can just tape back two injectors and use four and still use the truck's ignition system.I plan to make my own intake to incorperate the tb from one of the z's so the tps will work and the afm can be hooked up too.How does the system know when to trigger the injectors?Is it by the tps or afm? or is it from the ignition somehow?I'm low budget so i want to use everything i have before buying anything this truck isn't really worth putting alot of money in.

Help guys help

Scottie, dont have alot of answers for you but I am thinking it may be difficult to use the system with your ride. I belive the injectors are triggered at the distributor, they are batch fire, so in theory you can tape back two injector leads.

This probablly doesnt help much, but best of luck man. I am very impressed by your motivation to try this stuff out!

Evan

Scotty,

Sorry I can't provide any help on the EFi subject, but is the Carb completely enclosed in an airbox, or are you just blowing the boost into the Carb inlet?

If it's the latter, maybe consider building an airbox that encloses the whole carb. This way the only thing you should have to worry about is the floats collapsing, but I'm sure you could track down a set of solid floats. I also assume that you already have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?, otherwise the pressure around the carb (boost) will push the fuel back to the tank.

If you don't have happiness with the EFi setup, this should be an appropriate course of action.

Tim

Scotty, you would have no trouble with the injectors, since they are batch fired. If the ignition system is separate from the FI, it should work with a little tuning or injector swapping. Keep in mind if you lose 2 injectors, the ECU is still going to fire the injectors according to how much air it reads, so you will be quite lean. So just swap in some higher flowing injectors and adjust the AFM to fine tune it (I know you've done this).

Thanks guys for the info it's a blast to drive while it has gas in the carb.I don't have a raising rate fpr i wish i did but i'm on a tight budget so i have been sufering with the quick acceleration and then babying it thru third to keep moving.The float is already solid it's like that plastci type foam stuff i checked it out already.It's good to hear that it is batch fire and the injectors i use will be the turbo ones out of my zxt setup so they should put out enuf fuel i just have to find a way to make it fire from the existing system but it does have elecronic ignition i think i'm sure it does if i can somehow steal the trigger out of the z setup then it'll all work and i'll just have to build an intake.This little bugger moves good for what i have done to it if i can get the fi system to work look out i'm coming for the grand parents who beat me at the light last time :D I have the book your talking about lone thanks for the info too i'll have to look that one up and see if it'll help if i decide i can't convert this thing.If it does work i'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the intake and swap.

Guest Anonymous

You're seeing gas shooting out of area' because of boost. You need to equalize the pressure on the throttle shafts for one, they do this by usually drilling a small hole near the outside of the throttle plate base under the throttle blade shafts. Then then route a channel cut into the throttle plate base towards the inside to allow the pressure to enter the outside of the shaft. This way the boost pressure seals by blowing in the shaft, thus equalizing it wanting to blow out. I know I didn't state this very well, corky bell show's in his book this being a requirement of blow through turbo carb systems. Also you'll probably need a nitryl float otherwise it'll likely get crushed by the boost.

As far as a fuely system, maybe a later fuel injected mazda would be easier? (although pricier). Good luck with it, it sounds like it works neat with the turbo in there.

Regards,

Lone

the bible(maximum boost) says a drawthru system is not a good idea plus i'd have to change all the jets and stuff and it's more than i want to do to the carb.I'm going to try the fi thing first to see if i can get it to fire if not then it's just going to have to be the carb with some mods.

My intuition about draw-through tells me Corky Bell is right. Trying to pull a fuel/air mixture through the blades of a compressor sounds like a cold-starting nightmare (besides you can forget about intercooling - have to resort to water injection or some other band-aid solution).

one of the guys from zcar said that the fi is triggered by the negative side of the coil so in theory it will work but if he's wrong then it's back to the drawing board.I did find(i think) a rebuild kit for my turbo it needs it very bad so hopefully if this guy will come off of it then i'll be all set just have to wire in the z efi and this thing will probably be actually fast maybe i'll make it faster and run it at the track against the lesser cars that want to take my z and can't.The little bugger is fast tho i like it.I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of the truck for those who want to know.