HybridZ

Fuel System scores!

BLKMGK

Sweet, I may have just found a Paxton 1000HP fuel pump for $100 icon_biggrin.gif I have a line on a Paxton regulator for $50 and an Aeromotive one for $100 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Don't want to give away the source yet until I've scored what I need but I WILL. The pump isn't new so I'm a little concerned and am asking about condition, I'm still waiting to hear about the Paxton regulator. The Aeromotive unit is new and about $40 less than what it woould normally cost, I can't bitch about that. I've got another source I'm going to check that I've not looked at lately but when I'm done I hope to have saved a couple hundred bucks. Hopefully I won't get burned buying used stuff.

Hrm, and yeah the Paxton pump is VERY loud. icon_rolleyes.gif If you think a Holley blue pump is loud you've not heard anything yet! This sucker sounds like a coffee grinder. So does the Aeromotive which is what I'd actually prefer to run. I've got one of the Paxton pumps on the Mustang that I didn't isolate and the sound inside is incredible.

IF I get this pump I'm going to have to get creative quieting it down icon_smile.gif It's got 4little feet and is billet, if anyone has ideas I'm all ears. Hrm, just realized I still need a filter - doh!

If it's the same mount type as the holleys, try a piece of old fireman's hose between the mount and the pump body (the fire stations replace their hoses on a regular basis, so you should be able to pick up a small piece). Then use some exhaust mounts to mount the pump to the body. The kind that have a piece of rubber with threaded rod sticking out of each side. If that doesn't work, nothing will icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

I have the essex pump. Im sure its the same one. The loudness isnt bad over the sound of my car. Its a low pitched drone really.

Besides, when i turn the car on the pump goes BANG... WHRRRRRR... people always ask WTF it was. Kinda makes me laugh for some reason.

Evan

PS... great pump, but you need to mount it so it doesnt have to pull fuel uphill out of the tank. I have pics of my mount i can get too on monday if you wanna see. Its pretty sweet.

Pump is a cylinder with heat sink fins on it. One side is flat with four flat "feet" that have holes in them. My thought is to rubber mount it to a plate and then rubber mount that plate to the car. I'm considering using urethane sway end links for the "rubber". That's sort of how my current Holley is mounted except using only one set of rubber and some metal still touches - it's actually the hose and regulator that makes the most noise now with that.

Can't wrap it - it would over heat and die. (shrug) I'll work it out, the price is right icon_smile.gif

Hey BLK stop by your local Mercedes Benz dealer and pick up 4 air filter housing isolaters for a 123 body with a v-8 I'll try to get you the part number on monday. These are about 3/4" long about 5/8" wide with 1/2" studs out both ends 6mmx1 threads. These are also used on Rolls-Royce fuel pump and are made of metalastic (a rubber composite used for sound deadening) I have my MSD's,fuel pump,ICE amplifiers etc mouted with these they work great and are about $2-3 each. Keith

Sweeet! That would be perfect, I'd love to use something like that! I've seen something like that from MSD I think but this sounds like a higher quality piece. Would really appreciate the part number and I'll bet others would too. Thank you!

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guy with the Paxton pump is being really cagey about the condition of the pump. Found a newly rebuilt unit with all of 25 runs on it for $150 and will probably be going for that one. Hopefully the regulator deal will go through and I can find a good filter. I'm finding all of this stuff on Corral.net which is a big Mustang site. Lot's of these guys dump EFI stuff left and right and I could get injectors DIRT cheap! Just not sure I want to run old injectors if I can help it - new ones are only $210. Trying to track down a TB while I'm at it but no responses yet. I figure one of them will go through and I'll end up paying about $100 or so for a 70mm unit.

Hrm, pump for $150, regulator for about $100, filter for $80 max since that's a new price, $100 for a TB, $200 for intake conversion, $100 for a fabb'ed intake elbow to hold the TB, and $210(max) for 8 30lb injectors. IF this all works out it ought to be pretty sweet and using so many used parts will save me bunches! Still deciding on an ECU...

...And remember, you can recoup some of that price when you sell you intake and carb... that should knock a little bit off... I was a total of about $115 out of pocket before I upgraded my injectors to 42# units. I still have to sort my headers, cam, and ecu issues out though. I'm still on the Commander 950 band wagon, and with wide band 02 becoming available in 2002, I'm close to a purchase there...

Mike

Mike, where did you hear Wideband would be out in 02? The guy I'm talking to is an engineer for Holly and he's told me it may or may NOT come out. There are some "betas" out there apparently so it looks good but I'll want it for initial tuning. The Commander IS a good unit but in my case I think I've got some requirements it might not meet. I'm actually wondering if the FAST system would work out well on the Mustang.

Selling off parts? Oh heck yes! Carb, intake, fuel pump, regulator, I've got a water pump, starter, and I'll look for other stuff too. Just haven't had time to list it up on E-Bay yet. Bummer that I've NOT found a good Chevy sales site like I have for the Ford stuff icon_rolleyes.gif Anyone found such a place? I hope to recoup a couple hundred and then some icon_smile.gif

I called and talked to their rep and he said it was slated for 02. Said the feedback they had was positive... this was THIS PAST WEEK, so I assume it is a go... 02 isn't that much a show stopper for me personally, but it would be nice to have as well...

Mike

Sweet, I REALLY appreciate you getting that number for me. Hrm, Mercedes sell online anywhere? icon_biggrin.gif $3 apiece is fine by me for a part that works well.

Pete, I've got a line on an SX pumpfilter for $225 including shipping. It's got some time on it and I've got a pump on the way already. I'm VERY tempted to buy it anyway though as the filter is $70 new and I can use the pump or not if I choose. Will give the guy an answer tomorrow I think, this is a decent deal IMO. He's had nibbles but no bites on the parts, not a screaming deal but.... Oh, brand new regulator on the way for $100, still hunting a TB!

• 3 months later...
Guest bang847

hey if you cant stand the sound of that pump just install it on my car! i dunno.. maybe a little box made of very dense material stuffed with foam? im thinking a med density particle board? maybe that sounds mickey mouse...