HybridZ

Latest TEC3

Danno74Z

Is it just me, or is their system pretty dang expencive? I priced out a complete setup for my L28ET with them and it ended up being around $3,300 shipping.

I ended up getting a Wolf3D v4.0 for around $1,500 complete and shipped for my 7m-gte.

Anyone else had a price quote done for the new Electromotive setup? It looks real nice, good enough for show, but the billet, anodized aluminum isn't a necesity. Plus where's the built in boost controler, hand heald LCD display with key pad for real time data/mods, key code security system?

If anyone can help me understand this price difference please fill me in. I understand that the coil packs are included with the TEC3, and they are an option with the Wolf3D, but most multi coil pack systems out there in OEM applications can be had cheaply and perform very well.

They haven't specified how much the computational ability of the CPU has changed.

The old system had/has only 64 datapoints. I realize that with interpolation smoothing things out that you may not need much more for an NA or turbo in a racing environment, but for street I would like 16 x 16. A little more granularity, while harder/longer to program would be much better over a wide range - particularly in a boosted environment.

I will say though, that Electromotive was the firstest w/the mostest, and if they have upgraded the computer and capabilities (beyond dataloging and direct coil ignition) then I'll seriously consider it.

I have received an email stating that the new system can be set up from 8x8 to 16x16 or anywhere in between.

Good news for the gang!

For those of us w/V-8's and are contemplating turbos, the SDS doesn't seem to have anything, DFI is a little behind.

FAST and Electromotive lookin' good and MOTEC a bit out of reach.

More comments/discussion anyone?

icon_smile.gif

Brad

Umm... DFI is NOT behind. Compare th eGEN7 vs th eFAST - DFI kicks the FAST aorund the block! Go from batch to sequential pon the FAST and you have to not only sent it back to the factory but you lose some outputs! Same thing with th eGEN7? Flip a switch in software and away you go. No loss of outputs, no factory visit, no added cost that I'm aware of. Go look at the GEN7 software demo on my site (in th epics area under EFI stuff). The FAST has some features in it's datalogging I like better but the GEN7 is capable of not only detecting bad sensors or input but of taking corrective action for many scenarious and warning you with a check engine light. I found no such feature in the FAST system - I think their demo is on my site too.

Electromotive used to be what I'd consider a top dog, now I'm not so sure. I'd take it over the Wolf though - no offense. The handheld LCD programmer isn't something I'd consider a feature - I want full datalogging to a laptop and I want wideband capability. I don't think the Wolf offers the same lattitude or WB ability. Does it offer datalogging? It's certainly cheaper and if it works terrific but it wouldn't be my very first choice. (shrug)

Wideband, to me, is a KEY feature. I want an ECU that will take my target A/F ratios, adjust to meet those targets, and then in the datalogs tell me what cells it had to modify and by how much - FAST and GEN7 do this WELL, I'm not sure about the latest TEC3 yet. Do they have the software for it out there? Is it much changed?

Check out the AEM ECU too. The race version shoudl work for us well and fit most any engine we choose. It should be released mid Febuary and I expect one to go on my Supra very soon afterwards. Will report what I find when I do - cost is about $1300 for my applicaiton - slightly more for a "race" model but same internal hardware. http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10402

Been a while since i looked at DFI - my bad.

Never thought of anything BUT sequential.

Will definitely look at DFI again. AEM - Didn't someone say that the interface for it seemed overly complicated?

I like the sound of the DFI detecting bad sensors and acting on it...

Will investigate AEM too...

Don't know how I missed the later posts on the prior thread - must have been busy/braindead (I prefer thinking the former, but more than likely the later icon_wink.gif )

I should have my Wolf in hand by next week and I'll fill you in on the new things v4.0 has. Data loggin is there, you can hook a PC up to the system to help visualize things better than with the hand held controler. They suggest using a PC to get things started.

Wolf has an external memory card that is standard with the kit. It allows you to switch between two totally different setting (main memory, and this external memory card). You can also save as many different map settings as you'd like to your pc, and buy more memory cards.

• 1 month later...

Well guys, I'm taking the plunge. I ordered the TEC III just the other day--It just came out and they will start shipping in a couple of weeks. It seems that the TEC II has been discontinued and is no longer available. I'm allergic to distributors, so I really like the direct fire ignition. It cost almost as much as the entire care when I bought it ($3400 :( including manifold, harness and sensors)I probably could have done better with the Holley multiport system with the Commander 950 and added Electromotive's direct fire ignition system (it's surprisingly cheap). The reason I'm going with the TEC 3 is that I have an EFI guru here in town who is really helpful and suggested I get it. He can help me out if I get into trouble and that's worth a lot. I'll let you know how it goes

Hey Tony, Pete here...

I've had the Wolf 3D v3 in my Z for two years now, and I am completely satisfied with it. The v4 is supposed to be even better. The thing I like most about the Wolf, is that you can tune it yourself (at least good enough to drive it to the dyno). With the TechII, you need a trailer. I drove my car to a tuning shop that only installs TechII systems. He was amazed that I tuned it myself, for the first time. The Wolf logs O2 readings as you drive. While I wait for the turbo to cool down, I check all the fuel map points to see if any are rich or lean, and I make a fine adjustment. After driving the car 10 or so times, it was running great. It logs everthing. It seems that the TechIII finally has the logging capability. I still think the Wolf is a much better system, and it's way cheaper than everything except the SDS.

Pete

Hey there Pete,

Just came in from the garage, installing the Wolf3D v4.0 it is a very strait forward install. I've installed OEM EFI systems into other cars, and I'd have to say this was easier since it was all layed out nice and clear, with pictures and examples of different engine setups. Only thing that was different was that I installed my own relays, and installed a small fuse block.

The Wolf system has a very large selection for ignition trigger pickups, and my cam possition sensor was easily modified to work with the system. I used my stock coil packs with igniters I picked up in the bone yard, if anyone is interested in igniters that work with the wolf system I can help you find them cheaply.

I really like the hand controler/display/LEDs they make debugging, setting it up, and tuning easy.