HybridZ

New Cartech Billet RR FPR (FMU)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

fmu2020b.jpg

2thumbs.gif

I certainly do like it...

for $259 its barely more than competing FPR's..

Has anyone else tried one to verify? I've used other cartech stuff and I know its all top-notch, I'm about to order one anodized blue, for aftermarket turbo, as well as a cartech fuel pump. I don't know how new/if any of you have seen or tried it, just thought I'd toss it up.

Read more at: cartech fmu

-980mak rockon.gif

980mak

I was looking into those briefly a few weeks back. I have a 1983 280zxT stock. I installed a Air/fuel gauge, Boost adjuster, Intake Vacum gauge. Currently running 10PSI.I am in the process of installing I/C, BOV, 3" exaust along with fabbing a turbo 2 1/2"Down pipe (when I receive the flanges from Scottie-GNZ). I also bought Mustang SVO browntop 35lb. injectors to replace my turbo 25lb.stock injectors.I wanted the larger injectors to increase fuel at WOT to prevent "detonation" but I am also worried that those 35lb. injectors may cause my engine to run to rich under normal operation. I figure to first install the injectors then see if I can adjust my AFM and/or hope my stock ECU will automaticly adjust enough to lean injectors out under normal operations. If It doesn't work I was looking at either the Aeromotive universal injected bypass regulator PN 027-13109 runs 30 to 70 PSI that increases 1:1 according to amount of Vac. boost. But I couldn't find out if you can adjust the lower end pressure which is what I may need to do to lower normal operating press. to the larger injectors. The Aeromotive cost $129.99 from Jegs.

Now Corkey Bell at Cartech sells the FPR you are talking about. He also builds the ones sold thru Motorsport Auto. From what I read (along with talking to Mr. Bell) you can adjust the lower end of the fuel pressure. You also connect it on the return line of your fuel line. You don't remove your stock FPR, it works along with stock FPR. The cost as you know is $259. It sounds like a more adjustable FPR. So don't know what to tell you except if you buy it let me know how it works smile.gif

To confuse things further Aeromotive sells a billet fuel pump controller that controls the voltage to your fuel pump to control amount of fuel to your engine according to your RPM. Sounds interesting but don't know if thats what your looking for (PN 02716302 Jegs $189.99). May have not answered anything for you! :confused:

Len

Guest Anonymous

Len,

That's quite an interesting solution you proposed to using the stock ecu but larger injectors. I was thinking about going with the svo browntops myself, I found a set (but of course I'd need two, damn 4cyls :D ) for about 30, little use. So anyway, tell ME how your situation turns out. I'm just gonna go ahead and not wear my IMAW (...I might as well) bug repellant and get that new regulator. I've also wanted to talk to corky about things, my setup, how much his book really inspired me, and of course, belleng/cartech things I'd like to buy rolleyesg.gif

So anyway, I will be sure to post how it goes. In fact I'll have pics of my fuel/intake assy. soon. I'm trying to hunt down a place to buy a good billet fuel rail that CAN be used with larger 370cc+ injectors (say, rx7, svo, or mercedes). I'm pretty sure the zcarcreations don't. I'll bet somebody can push me in the right direction where to get one (cheapest possibly tongue.gif ?)

Now here's the stumper... aluminum, or anodized blue, like most everything else under the hood... hmm..

rockon.gif 980mak

980mak~ I am planning on doin some fuel rails. I am goin to make it so I can use supra injectors but I would like to make a rail that will run the bosch style injectors too. If you are interested email me. I am in bellingham WA but the shop I am using is in Monroe. Let me know. thanks

~Kenny

With all due respect to Corky Bell and his company - he does seem to know his stuff - I don't understand how a RRFPR can perform adequately.

My thoughts on using the larger 370cc injectors follow this line: Lower the fuel pressure and/or adjust the AFM so the car runs normally with the larger injectors. This should get you normal mixture ratios and similar performance up the point where the duty cycle is maxxed on the ECU. At this point you would want the RRFPR to increase fuel pressure to maintain the fuel mixture at 11 or 12 to 1, HOWEVER if you are running some higher boost, say 15 psi and up, you may be making this boost by 4000 RPM. The fuel pressure will not rise past this point and you will still run lean (WAY lean IMO) as you get to 5500 RPM or so. The only way to tune this thang would be to raise fuel pressure high enough to get your safe mixture at redline, max boost, then you would run pig rich in the midrange RPMs...

Any comments? If the fuel pressure rise was boost referenced AND RPM referenced, I can see a benefit.

980mak

You found a good deal 4 injectors for $30, my six cost $150 (agree on 4 cylinder statement! :D:D ) Keep an eye on ebay for remaining 2 or I may be able to aquire two more in next 2 weeks (email me if you don't have any luck). My answer to your stumper is easy for me the $18 cheaper Alu. But I'm not going for pretty. I'm going POWER!!!!!! b_hand.gifb_hand.gif (cheaply as possible) lol!.

SleeperZ

I agree with your observations! Scottymiz ran his 370's with stock setup except I/C 2 1/2" DP and 3' exaust up to 18 PSI. Although he mentioned his ran a bit rich under normal operations. Scott further mentioned this possibly can be remedied by adjusting stock AFM (fingers crossed! :D ). So I'm thinking the 370's will do the job at WOT and I will adjust boost as much as possible BUT not go lean on fuel. I just don't want to lose gas economy at normal operations. Another option could be a larger TB (240sx,60mm which I have, but heard you gain another problem hesitation at low speeds).

I guess if AFM adjustment doesn't lean it enough. Then hookup FPR that has low end PSI adjustment that is 1psi fuel pressure rise to 1 psi intake boost pressure referenced. Someone told me cartech is like 4 to 1 so that is why I keep on mentioning the aeromotive 1 to 1 but don't think you can adjust base press. below 30PSI. I'm looking to adjust base below 30psi because stock injection systum runs 30 to 40 with stock injectors (another brick wall b_hand.gif ). I guess I will have to wait till I install those 370's and see what happens. Instead of letting my mind try to work out problems that may not even come about! bonk.gif

I agree RRFPR with adjustable low base FP below 30psi that is also RPM referenced to allow a more adjustable powerband(possibly like that $189 Billet fuel pump controller in Jegs; aeromotive PN 027-16302). Or the final expensive solution I have purposely avoided mentioning a SDS fuel managment sysum ($800+!!!).

But I'm trying to go the cheap shade tree route. I would like to save the SDS purchase for my future Lt-1 6 speed into 240Z install gathering dust in the back of my shop

Len

Guest Anonymous

You know if you squint your eyes while looking at that CarTech RRFPR it looks like the Spaceship on the old show Lost In Space!

:D:Dcheers.gif

good call, Len.

Well, I can say that I don't have to AS much finger-crossing as you do- SDS is already in my plans ;)

One thing I do want to try with my turbo setup is experimenting around a little bit, if I don't like the cartech unit, I could probably get near turn-around value from ebay, or just selling it to some ricer-sucker, locally. "See how shiney it is? It would go great with your carbon fiber strut bar!" :D

Anyway, I usually have more fun with Air than I do fuel.. I see endless possibilities with turbo's and i/c's, so aside from basic upgrades of fuel (ie. making sure I will HAVE enough), I want to put my money there. So one thing we do agree on, Len, is go cheap on the things I can, so that I can put the money where it counts. If I can get a billet fuel rail for ~$100, that's not a dent to the pockets. Still looking though..

My .02 on your situation, I think you aught to be able to manipulate the stock efi to run only slightly rich, if that's desirable. Like you said, just adjusting the afm, or flowing through more air w/ a bigger throttle body are definite solutions. One more extreme method, if you really need a solution, would be bypassing air to the afm (fooling the ecu by smuggling illegal air into the system :D ), provided that you can moniter/adjust your a/f ratio with some sort of lean/rich indicator- don't want that detonation! puke.gif

-980mak rockon.gif

Ahhhhhhh! SDS sounds like the easy answer to so many shade tree problems! From what I heard its sooooooo adjustable! As I say I want to use SDS as a bailout for my Lt-1 install if I can't make stock ECM and harness work. Since its a 96 Firebird Lt-1,T-56. I heard the ECM may be harder to work with. But I have my trusty hail.gif JTR Datsun Z V8 conversion hail.gif and hail.gif Chevy TPI & TBI Engine swapping hail.gif and they say I can do it with stock stuff. Although reading HybridZ's "Drivetrain section" under JTR driveline adapter(currently being discussed). You find out everything in a book may not be gospel! twak.gif SDS is a good backup cheers.gif

I'm still really interested on how you come out on the "Lost in space Saucer?" you may find it will allow you just enough adjustment to solve some issues. Since Ben Watson in his book "How to Tune and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection" On pg 174 he talks of a FPR put out by Micro Dynamics but sounds just like CarTechs. You may be pleasently suprised! Just a note I remember Randy77z mentioned to me he had a Cartech FPR (older model, not as pretty or cutting edge but would do the job) he wanted to sell. You might contact him if your interested.

2thumbs.gif Like you said! You could ebay it if not useful(Yea! Boy! shinney! shinney! pretty! good deal worth bunches!).........

I agree on the endless possiblities on turbo's I/C etc. I guess that's how I was sidetracted from starting to work on my hybrid project. I discovered a few months ago the devastating (good word!)power achieved with a stock turbo! As much as a stock Lt-1 by doing just a few mods!

You know, now that you mention it. I remember Scottymiz drilling holes in his AFM flap to get some of that "illegal air"!!!! possiblities are endless!

Len