HybridZ

Carb to EFI conversion? Is there one

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have owned several Z's over the past 25 years. My current project is a 74 Fairlady. My main problem is that I could not get the car to run correct with the stock S.U.'s. I converted it to a Holley 390 cfm carb and still no luck. Does anyone know if there is a fuel injection conversion kit available?

Thanks

Trav

From 1987-1994 I drove many Zs that had either the SU or the 4 BBl. intake. When I swapped an 1975 motor into my car, it had the FI harness and everything needed to run fuel injection. We swapped the motor into a 74 260Z, and this motor had flat top pistons, a nice fat cam and a header. Car ran increadibly. No more drama with intermittant good and BAD running carbs, or bad fuel to air mixture. My recommendation is to find a good intake, wiring harness and computer/ sensors and swap it in. Make sure the intake is compatible with your current head configuration.

When I DID run the 4 BBl. setup, the only carb that ran well on the motor was a tricked out carter 450CFM that had been jetted DOWN to make it balance better. However, those motors don't flow that large a CFM. and there is the problem with rnning a 4 BBl. setup on the L6 motor.

However, NOTHING I did made the car run as well as when it was fuel injected. I won an SCCA regional F/P autocross championship the year AFTER I swapped the FI into the car, due to the consistant performance. The car also ran well as a daily driver after the swap to FI....

Mike :D

this can be adapted quite easily to a 6 cylinder

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/WhatsNew/WhatsNew.html

NEW PRODUCT RELEASE (2002-17)

Commander 950 Universal MPFI Kits -

P/Ns 534-183 & 534-184

What if you could put Commander 950 fuel injection on anything? Have a 1954 DeSoto with a "Firedome?" No problem! How about a 1969 AMC AMX? Sure! With Holley's Commander 950 universal MPFI retrofit kits, you can fuel inject any V8 engine you desire.

With just a few additional components, you can be roaring down the road with a multi-point fuel-injected engine!

Includes:

Commander 950 ECU and pre-terminated harness.

1000 or 2000 CFM billet aluminum 4-barrel throttle body.

8/ Injector bungs.

Billet aluminum fuel pressure regulator.

MAP, coolant temperature, air-temperature, and oxygen sensors.

Comprehensive application installation instructions and tuning guide.

KEY FEATURES AND BENEFITS

1000 CFM (534-183) or 2000 CFM (534-184) throttle body for maximum airflow.

Industry-leading comprehensive application installation instructions and tuning guide are included to make converting your engine to EFI as straightforward as possible.

8/ Injector bungs are included to simplify intake manifold preparation.

The tuning precision and flexibility that only the Holley Commander 950 software and electronics can provide.

Includes all necessary sensors and a pre-terminated harness to provide an easy and clean installation in any vehicle.

APPLICATIONS

Any vehicle with a V8 engine and 4150 or 4500 carburetor flange.

TARGET GROUP

Street Rods

Pro Touring

Off-Road vehicles

Drag Racing

Road Racing

RECOMMENDED ACCESSORIES

950-125 "Race" Software Upgrade

Requires:

* 4-Barrel carburetor intake manifold

* Fuel pump (sized to application)

* Fuel injectors (sized to application)

* Fabricated fuel rail hold-downs

* 30-100 micron coarse fuel filter

* 10 Micron high-pressure EFI fuel filter

* Throttle linkage

* Some fabrication and welding

* Assorted plumbing

well IF its a L6 i have a complete setup from a 75 for $150 with the intake, injectors, computer and fuel pump, AFM, wiring harness etc. ;just installing a 5.0 into the car and it was all working. the motor was leaking oil all over the place but the FI ran fine.