HybridZ

what pound fuel pump to use on 440cc injecters?

warrenp

i am doing a vg30edt conversion into my 88 4X4 nissan truck and would like to know what size fuel pump i should be using? a friend of mine said to use about 50 pound? does that sound correct? and how much should i be willing to spend for a good fuel pump?

thanks for the help

The numbers are actually quite easy. Multiply the flow rating of your injectors by 6 cylinders and convert it to whatever units your prospective pump is specified. Then add your boost pressure to your base fuel pressure supplied by your regulator. The fuel pump must deliver at least (and I'd give it 20% margin) what your injectors can deliver at 100% DC at the fuel pressure + boost pressure.

Remember, most pumps are specified at a certain flow at a certain pressure. Be sure the pump is specified this way or you will certainly get a pump that can only deliver "50 lbs" at 5 psi.

so i need a 42 gallon and hour pump how many punds is that? what would be a rough price quote?

clint: my 88 truck is a 4 cylinder 2.4liter i do not believe the motor mounts are in the same place

although they will not bult up to the vg30edt any way. i'm going to fabrocate some mounts so the turbo will fit right in. i'm preping the motor now. the motor might be in by the end of next month? maybe

I believe one gallon of fuel = 6 lbs weight...keep in front of your mind that pump manufacturers will overstate the flow rating. For example, the Walbro 190lph pump will flow 190lph at 15 psi - that is not a pump for a turbo motor - this same pump will only flow 120lph at 60 psi.

Quick calculation here, for 420 cc/min injectors and 20 psi boost with 40 psi static fuel pressure, you need a pump capable of supplying 150 l/hour (40 gal/hr) at 60 psi.

Oops - 440 cc/min injectors... 160 l/hour (42 gal/hour) at 60 psi.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Clint: your pathfinder (if it's a V6)has the same block that the 84-89 300ZX's do. If you wanted to just put the stock turbo on and run stock boost, your block could easily handle it...if you wanted to raise the boost, you would probably need an intercooler and to keep a watchful eye out for detonation...for more info on the swap you might want to go to z31.com and look around for it...I think there's a write-up on it somewhere there that is pretty detailed.

Correct my pathfinder is a V6 so the tranny will bolt right up. The problem is in the pathfinder if you go to bolt on a turbo ixhaust manifold the turbo sit smack dab where the existing motor mount is. On the the 300zxt the right side motor mount is located towards the front which might interfere with the front differential. Mabey when I get some other projects done I will have another look.