HybridZ

EFI '75 tank for 240ZT

Guest Zkrazy

Guest Zkrazy

Hi,

My '70 240 is currently in very bad need of fuel tank vent hose and filler neck replacement. It will return to daily driving status soon (Anyone want a '89 4Runner with a rebuilt V6, $1000 UNDER blue???) so I need to deal with this while all my interior panels are removed. I can get about 1/2 a tank of fuel in before it starts spilling out in more than one place. It stinks REALLY bad in the interior after getting gas, even with just a few gallons so it doesn't overflow.

I plan on a 280ZT longblock with SDS, T3/4.... in the future.

I'd like to do the tank conversion now rather than repair what I have and then toss it out later on. I also want to elminate all interior vent hoses and the vapor tank, retain the spare tire well, while using a EFI tank wtih my relatively stock, recently rebuilt L24.

I've heard the '75 tank will fit a 240 to be used with FI, can I still use that tank with my SU's? I'm running a stock fuel pump and am happy with it (IE: on a tight budget). Is it possible?

Thanks,

Anthony

To my knowledge, the EFI Z tank (ie, 75 - 78) is not really "EFI" in the modern sense. It doesn't have an internal pump nor a decent sump (well, it has no sump). I have a 71 tank and a 75 and they look identical. The reservoir thingio (the small tank that sits inside the passenger quarter panel) is metal on the 75, plastic on the 71. Both have the same mounting hardware holes for the external pump. It's just not used on the 71. I haven't ever really examined the pump in detail. It's big.

Seems like if you really wanted to use the spare tire stock tank setup, the ideal would be to start with a decent tank and add a sump to it. Braze on some fittings for feed and return. Plug up the wacky extra vent holes. Maybe run an extra line from the top that loops between the filler and a line going all the way to the intake manifold.

I decided that the spare was superfluous. I don't ever plan on taking the car on any long trips. I'll just call triple A if I get a flat....

I could sell ya my stuff, but I think shipping would be too high to make it worthwhile.

I agree on 75-76 may not be a real EFI tank on a modern sense but it's a lot better then the 240Z tank. When I was just low on fuel I hit turn and it suck a bunch of air. If I was boosting high I probably would have blown my motor.

I now have a 76 fuel tank that was very low on fuel and hit a turn hard with no problems. Also the fuel outlet line is bigger then the 240's outlet line. Also I had a hard time putting a -8 line, barely fit.

I'm glad it doesn't have a internal pump, it seem like a pain to swap pumps if it was internal.

Guest Zkrazy

Ron,

Did you have any trouble getting the tank installed on the car? Did you keep all the vent lines and vapor tank? I've heard the same reasons for using a later 280 tank: baffels and bigger outlets, and also for electric fuel pump use. How does it mount with the later tank?

Thanks guys, A

Zcrazy,

On the drivers side there was no line to connect to so didn't connect that side. Currently is just hanging but hidden. The only problem is you need to make the straps slightly longer. Owen gave me his so I made it longer with the extra strap, cost me $10 to get it done.

Also it's easier to just swap your sender from the 240Z tank to the 280Z tank. Hope this helps

beware that a 77 or 78 tank is different.that is why trunk floor is different in a 77 or 78-the tank is bigger.the 75 up tank has baffles in side.the only time my 77 starves out is below 1/4 tank at sears point on turn 6 .the out line for pump is an odd size but very large -about 7/16 inch.plus tank has return line .the easiest way to go unless you want to saw out trunk floor and install fuel cell.