HybridZ

O-ring Fuel rail fabbing solutions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Actually, I need some (solutions) rolleyesg.gif

Well, I got a set of denso 460cc injectors on the way (for a steal of a deal :D ).. and I already have an electomotive bare fuel rail.

I haven't drilled it yet (it's already ~.8" thick and drilled .6" through-- about 3/4 and 9/16).. The injectors I got are o-ring type, I had originally planned on the mercedes barbed injectors, and just drilling and tapping for barbed fittings (no welding), however now I'm going to have to drill and install injector bosses.. aluminum TIG welding for proper seal...? Well, I don't have a welder.. not yet nor in the scope of my turbo project. However, I have a lincoln in sight, say, when I start doing body work to the 240. Anyway, if the o-ring bosses have to be welded, my idea was to just go to a precision machine/welding shop, with the rail pre-drilled (and my intake fitted for the injectors, for the chamfered intake bosses), and having them do the welding for me. Agreement.. or any other ideas?

Also, while on the topic of fuel, I'm planning on getting either a walbro 255lph HP or the Accel HP pump (item # 310-74702 in JEGS, or ACC-74702 in summit), the accel is rated for 420-870 hp, and they offer a 500 hp version, but doesn't support high pressure/flow that my turbo setup will need. Although I'll only be pushing about 380 at the crank I think I'd need the bigger accel unit. BTW, this will be with the stock zx fpr since I'll be using SDS. I think the price, the walbro HP is gonna suit me best. Just thought I'd fly a couple ideas past. Where I really need help with is the fuel rail though. TIA:cheers:

-980mak rockon.gif

Is there anything special about the bosses? Couldn't you just drill holes in the rail to the exact ID as the bosses that you might weld in? I'm not REALLY familiar with all of the O-ring setups, but on my Supra engine the bosses are just simiply machined out holes, which would be easy to make if you had a drill press.

I guess this is only possible if you have enough meat there to work with. Lots of rails I've seen are D shaped and allow for this.

I have the 500hp Accel pump installed in my `72 w/7M-GTE. I don't see why you'd have a problem with it, I haven't pushed it to 500hp, but maybe some day, hehe.. It sells for a pretty good price. I think it has 3/8" fittings on it, I used it with the -6 hosen.

Guest Anonymous

Try www.sdsefi.com/tech.html they have a series of tech articles one of which is how to build a manifold and another that deal's with fuel rails, its great info.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Even though I wouldn't do it, people do and have epoxied in bosses for the injectors, also there are screw in ones available although you'd need enough meat in the manifold for the threads to be tapped.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, not sure I understand the problem. The top rail is just a hole in the rail basically, the o ring is the seal and the only big deal is welding some sort of mounts to hold the fuel rail down to the manifold so fuel pressure won't force it off.

On a 'D' shaped rail, typically they drill and tap some VERY SHORT holes low down on the D section where there is a bit of meat, and then just weld a piece onto the manifold corrosponding to those holes. I know welding aluminum is not in most peoples scope, I bought some of that alumi-fix which is basically more like a braze and it works, but I wasn't able to play with it much before life as I knew it turned to crap. I had intended on using it to put some bungs I started to make out of aluminum billet onto a weiand single plane manifold being converted to F.I.

The fuel rail also helps to keep the injectors in the bosses. I'm sure you knew most of this if not all, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thx Lone and Tony,

the SDS tech site is actually where I gathered my query :rolleyes:

Well, I suppose I'll just have to figure it out when they get here. My rail is the "D" type so I'll have to do some measurements of the amount of "meat" I'll need. I was thinking I wouldn't have enough, necessetating the bosses, but perhaps you two are right I can just drill and tap it. I'll post as soon as they get here. BTW if anyone else is interested, I have a source for a set of '75 SEL (merc.) injectors.. the ones that work with the stock efi. They're in good shape, $50. Just send me $25 thru paypal and I'll give you his address. malebitchslap.gif Just kidding.. tongue.gif

If any of you want them, write me and I'll give you the address of the guy selling them, if he still is of course. Z y'all!

-980mak rockon.gif

I have denso injectors and it is a simple thing drill the holes. You will need to get o-rings from a late model Honda and I believe you must drill the holes 11mm. Put a chamfer on the hole and you are set. Make sure the hole is very smooth which can be achieved by using a reamer after drilling.