HybridZ

Please help with SDS Map Settings

R0N

Hello... Can someone please help me with map settings for the SDS on my current configuration? What I have is a NPR IC, Mercedes 420cc or 480cc(depends who you ask :D ), and Stage III T3/T04B .57 trim .63 a/r turbo.

Much Thanks in Advance!!!

do you have a mixture meter or something to see what fuel ratio your at? if not youll need one or else its gonna be hard to tune. but i can be done. if you have the instruction manual read it like 3 times... setup the rpm fuel curve first with no booste if possible. i disod my intake pipe from teh engine so i had a true NA engine and tuned it that way all the way to 8000RPM. then i hooked up the pipe and did the map side of the curve.. went thru 2 tanks of gas but its almost done... what i need now is a 2nd person to watch gages. Im in the 450+ range and its really hard to watch 3 different gages at once. if

If you get a stumble turn the mixture to make it more rich if it gets worse then you are too rich .. you need to go back and change the settings in that range to lean it out and vice versa.

Per the manual be careful with stumble if its a lean stumble you can burn a hole in a piston quick so if it sputters at all get out of it quick

my 2 cents... scottie can help lots in this area i believe he used to have a setup close to yours rockon.gif

Ron,

What is the problem with your current settings? We have similar parts (except for adj. cam sprocket) so the maps should be close. Last time I ran the car I saw about 18 psi of boost with no pinging. I had to get out of it because I haven't installed my BOV yet, should be here on Wed. Let me know if you need a copy of my map settings.

Arif, I never had SDS Computer. This will be my first time putting this in. I agree our setup is simular. I think your setting would be perfect. If you get a chance please email me the settings.

Thank You! 2thumbs.gif

Originally posted by clint78z:

Hey Arif shoot me your setting too, I have a DFI but I can figure out the pulse widths easy enough. Once I get my tuning done I am going to put more on my page show fuel and igntion maps for everyones turbo cars.

Clint,

Like I told Ron be careful with my RPM IGN map because it is fairly aggressive with a total timing of 27 degrees (42 RPM IGN-15 IGN RET MAP). I think Scottie used to run 24 degrees and a few other folks ran similar timing. Not sure why I can run that much more timing but the engine responds great with no detonation. I would start out with 20 on the RPM IGN map and ramp it up from there. I'll send you an email with the spreadsheet.

Thanks Arif timing curve looks too agressive for the crappy gas we get here. A couple of tips I have picked up from others. Once you pass your torque peak of 4400rpm or so you fuel demands should go down from there try tapering your fuel setting past this rpm. Max advance usually occurs at around 3600rpm and light cruise conditions.

Thanks for the map, I always like looking at the way others tune.

Originally posted by clint78z:

Thanks Arif timing curve looks too agressive for the crappy gas we get here. A couple of tips I have picked up from others. Once you pass your torque peak of 4400rpm or so you fuel demands should go down from there try tapering your fuel setting past this rpm. Max advance usually occurs at around 3600rpm and light cruise conditions.

Thanks for the map, I always like looking at the way others tune.

Thanks for the suggestion Clint. I had fuel delivery problems earlier and would run lean on the top end despite the added fuel. I will try and lean it past 4400 rpm and see what happens now that I replaced the fpr and fuel pump.

Interesting thought on the timing. I was told it normally maxes out around 3000 rpm. So are you saying that you increase your timing from 1000 rpm up to 3600 rpm. That would mean that you would end up running more than 27 degrees.

Thanks for the input.

IMO get a W/B O2 sensor and meter! It makes tuning EFI 100% easier! Can the SDS datalog? If so that and say an FJO W/B and you're in fat city. Mine gives me a realtime display of A/F and the computer uses it too - sweet! Don't even bother with the Autometer type guages - get a real one and possibly save your engine. Before I got mine I thought my car was feeling pretty peppy - sure it was running lean as heck! Much safer now. The W/B will pay for itself quickly and if you do it right you can use it on multiple cars. IF you cannot afford the FJO look at the DIY W/B guys out of OZ, their setup is supposed to be good too.

Ignition is a real bugger to nail down, most maps are simply just what works best through trial and error. An engineer could tell you the basics of why it's supposed to fire then but there is so many variables unaccounted for. I have heard that max timing is 3000-3600rpm at light cruise conditions.

Your intial fuel curve should roughly follow your torque curve if you overlay them NOT YOUR HP CURVE.

Wide band O2 take away lots of guessing, however being careful and taking your time tuning can get you there. A couple of pulls on the dyno should be later on. Just too expensive for me right now !!