HybridZ

Seek alternative to "aftermarket" injectors...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

first of all ive got a vg30et and Im looking to increase my fuel consumption moderately here. Stock injectors just arent cutting it anymore. Im eyeing up an SDS em3 module but am unsure of what injectors i should go with. I know the em3 is compatible with any injector pretty much, so im looking to avoid the outrageous prices of JWT and other such companies. I know that injectors Jim Wolf sells for the z31 turbo are only mercedes benz injectors at about 420cc. I would love to aquire the part number for these injectors, or know at least what kind of benz I could find these in. Im not looking for anything wild here, just a little mild.

Guest Anonymous

oh yea, if anyone has any more input on modifying the vg30et fuel delivery, I.E. alternative injectors or just advice, please feel free.

I'm at the same issue with my 84AE. I'm currently running a Cartech RR FPR with a T3/T4, Spearco I/C and a 3" turbo back exhaust. I ran out of fuel at about 10 psi first time. The RR FPR got me about another 2.5 - 3 psi, till the stock injectors maxed out again. For the cost $200+, I guess its ok if your only looking for 2-3 more psi. Remember, you're goin to need a fuel pressure guage to be able to initially adjust the FPR. ($200+ for an elec. in cockpit one) I found this out after I bought the FPR. I am planning to get the SDS EIC setup now. If I would have known about this before, I would have taken it over the RR FPR. I dont want to spend the money required to upgrade the whole injection system (I have 2 other Z's to feed) since I am only looking for 15-18 psi total for this Z. The SDS EIC system is priced right $475 (controller & 2 injectors) and should get me to my 18psi with room to spare. as for the Mercedes injectors try this: JWT upgrade

Or you can go to Z31.com and search on JWT.

..........Chris

Guest Anonymous

excellent, thanks ThreeZguy. What exactly is the SDS EIC module. I couldnt find it at SDSEFI.com FOr a mere 475 bucks that seems right on target. Is it just a standalone fuel computer that works in conjuction with your turbo Z computer? Yea, i realize im going to have to get various other components till my fuel system will work the way i want it to. Thanks.

In case you are interested I have a set of 6 of the mercedes injectors still in the boxes I need to get rid of. I bought them for a z31 project that never got finished and they are going to be too small for the 280 project. Let me know if you are interested and we will work out a price.

JT

Guest Anonymous

I am interested JTaylor, but im still trying to piece all of this together. However, im sold on the fact that for what i want to do, benz 420cc injectors are the way to go. I cannont committ to anything at this moment. I appreciate the offer tho!.

Ascilifared,

where are you located in Orlando? Drop me an email if you would like to get together.

Not that familiar with the VG30DET injector system except to know it has some sort of odd side-feed setup. Have you considered building new fuel rails that would allow you to have a wider choice of injs?

Guest Anonymous

Hey scottie, believe it or not i have actually met you before. It was out at orlando speedworld. You had your GNZ there along with your buddy mike's GN RX. Masterful creations might i add. Im located in Altamonte Springs. You might remember my friend, he has a second gen RX with a small block in it.

I have consider many things as far as my fuel setup is concerend. It seems though that 450sel injectors would be just about right without extensive fabrication. Im only looking for roughly 350-375 horsepower. My tiny 256 injectors seem to be holding up rather well at about 11-12 lbs. Im running perfectly stoich. Ideally i would like to flow a full T04 with the additional fuel, but likely going to be aquiring a t3/t4.

Yea i defintely would be interested in meeting up. Your car looked awesome in action on that lil test strip at bithlo!

We will most likely be taking the RX-7 out again this Wed night. If you can, bring the car by and let me take a look at the VG30 fuel rail to see how difficult it would be to make a custom set to fit barbed or o-ringed injs. I have a feeling other VG30s could use it.

I know a couple of V8 RX-7s and remember a grey or primered one at the track. Were you there that night I had the episode with the slicks?

The Bosch part number for the 450SEL injectors is: 0 280 150 036. I just bought some fromt thepartsbin.com for $68 each. Yea, you can get remans for less, but they are usually RAM injectors, which are junk confused2.gif . You get what you pay for. BTW, they are 380cc/min not 420.

Met a guy at the convention this year that was getting 350HP at the wheels :eek: with a junkyard L28ET long block and Accel DFI (among other mods). He was runing 340cc/min injectors.

Pete

I think he could probably get away with the 350rwhp for a while, if there are no other tuning problems -- case in point, there is a local Honda guy who ran a 12.8 in his turbocharged Acura (4 cylinder) with stock injectors (215cc I think). Granted, he destroyed his motor shortly afterward, but he got much more power than what you would expect from the theoretical 150hp from 4 215cc injectors.

Now whose case did I make here? bonk.gif

BTW, I am now running 14 psi on a stock L28ET and stock injectors (259cc, 37psi fuel pressure), still pegging 0.9V on my mixture gauge (near redline). At 12 psi, I was putting 230hp to the ground (10 psi corrected to sea level). I will try to calculate my whp on the higher boost soon.

As soon as I see the mixture start to lean out, I will stop boosting, and will probably move to 370cc injectors shortly afterward. The car is never done ;)

Originally posted by z-ya:

Met a guy at the convention this year that was getting 350HP at the wheels :eek: with a junkyard L28ET long block and Accel DFI (among other mods). He was runing 340cc/min injectors.

Pete

He won't be doing that for long I bet. That is roughly a 32 lb per hour injector which could support about 388 hp at max duty cycle.

Good thing he has a junk yard motor instead of a built one.

The guy I met at the convention uses his car on road coarses and as a daily driver. It's very reliable. I think he was runing around 40psi at idle, and 60+psi at full boost. He is using a stock FPR BTW.

Of course, to get 350HP at the wheels, he has a big intercooler, TB, T4/T3 turbo, and an external waste gate. He was dumping the waste gate directly to the ground (not to the exhaust system). It made an awesome sound on the 1/4 mile when the waste gate opened. He was running mid 12s. He was also the owner of a tunning shop, and had over 100 dyno plots for the car. Wish I could remember his name.

Pete