HybridZ

what fuel pump are you all using?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Rick Johnson

Regarding fuel pump noise. The pumps need to be isolated from the body. McMaster Car sells rubber isolators you can use to mount the pump. Basically the softer the mounting is, the less noise/vibration will be transmitted to the car. I wil be in El Segundo on Sunday if you want to see how simple it could be mounted.

Regarding pressure, I think the best is to run a rear pump set at 10 PSI or more (I needed 12) and then regulate it in the engine compartment to about 6 PSI.

During accelleration of a bit over 1/2 G, the head loss in the fuel line is about 2 PSI. Combine that with the pumping losses of fluid in a long tube, especially if you use the 5/16 line, and you can easily end up with a significant drop in pressure. Originally my rear pump was set to 7 PSI, regulator to 6 PSI, and pressure at the carb would drop below 2 PSI during WOT and I would loose power. I increased my rear setting to 10 PSI and the pressure at the carb would maintain 4PSI and run perfectly at WOT(confirmed with an expensive air / fuel ratio meter. I decided to set the rear pressure at 12 PSI for additional safety margin.

McMaster Car sells rubber isolators you can use to mount the pump.

Rick, I agree with this. I just picked up two of these from the local parts shop. They are exhaust isolators from a mercedes...rubber pad with a stud on each end.

Tim