HybridZ

fuel tank internal rust

Guest HIGHRPM

Guest HIGHRPM

HI GUYS. Got a question for everyone. I have noticed lately that my z runs eratic in regards to fuel delivery. I switched my fuel filter from a steel can unit to a glass unit, only to find very fine rust particles coming from my tank. My tank is very solid on the outside, but who knows what is going on on the inside. I would like to save the tank if possible, so, I'm looking for ways to remove the rust, either with an acid wash or what have you. Any ideas, or tried methods would be appreciated very much. :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

I used the red cote on a 54 chevy a few years ago. I took the tank to a shop to boil it out and after I got it home found their boil job just deposited a layer of boil out residue and other loose accumulations from every other part they cleaned for the last ten years on top of half of the remaimning rust in the tank. I had this 10 foot section of heavy-thick link chain that I placed inside and shook this vigorously around the insides combined with some really heavy duty toilet bowel cleaner mixed with water I got at Home Depot.Shook, rinse and shook and rinse until I ran out of potty cleaner and the red water mix turned clear.Rest and let it set to eat that rust This will get rid of the rust faster than some shops highly contaminated boil out swindle scheme.The chain makes a dandy scrubber.Look for the bottle of potty cleaner that most of the label is legal disclaimer and warning. It will burn you. Read that red cote directions carefully because it will have a tendancy to permanently seal small openings if left unattended duting final cure. I had to drill out one opening.

Guest HIGHRPM

THANKS GUYS !!! That, at the very least gives me a chance to save this tank. I drained it last night and the rust was unbeleivable. Hopefully there is enough of a tank to save. Again. thanks.

ROD