HybridZ

Fan Clutch Question

I've never had to work on a fan clutch before, and every time I hear of a bad one it is related to overheating problems. Can they SOUND bad without overheating? I have a definite rotating noise coming from the front of my engine. I verified that it isn't an idler pully, alternator, or power steering pully. None of the pullies are hot to the touch. Can my fan clutch be making this noise? I have no overheating problems. The noise seems to go away once the car has been driven for about 10 minutes. This is in my '83 280ZX, 2-seater, 220K miles.

I remember reading on a website that over the years the oil in the clutch fan eventually leaks out or gets old (on 83 like 18 years old!). They mentioned that you could remove the clutch, unbolt the halves clean it out and reinstall with 90wt. oil. That might be an option for you. Although the fan on a Z does make alot of noise. I eventually took off my fan on my 83 280zxt and installed an electric for about $119. that Quieted the engine down a bit, along with increasing the hp a bit!