HybridZ

a simple sparkplug question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys i just changed the plugs on my daily drivr the other day and what i say has made me wonder... i know that a "healthy" sparkplug will be a light tan to grey in color and soe of the ohter ways to read engine condition from a plug's appearance. but i can't figure this one out. i pulled the plugs and they were coated in what looked like dark red ceramic crud?? it had a cracked look to it and was coated on the plug pretty thick. any ideas out there as to what could have caused this.

oh and if anybody you know wants some helping changing the plugs,wires,cap, and rotor on a 2.3L turbo T-bird my advice to you is to politely refuse and then run like hell in the opposite direction weird.gif . this simple job that normaly should only take about twenty minutes of time on any other car took me almost 5HRS!! just to get to the plugs i had to take off the intercooler, then to get to the plug wires i had to remove the upper intake manifold and unattach everything connected to the upper intake mainfold. why you ask? looks like the engineers in all their wisdom at ford decided to have the plug wires go under the throttle body and intake manifold which curves up and over the valvecover to attach to the intercooler. aaarrggh! it wasn't too bad actually just time consuming the worst part was when i had to reattach the intercooler. it mounts DIRECTLY onto the turbocharger. and so the rubber connecting hose for them actually has a different inside diameter on each end. but it so small you can't really notice until its driving you crazy. it took me over an hr and a half top get that bugger back on. if i could get it to hook up the intercooler to the turbo then i couldn't get it to hookup with the throttlebody and vice versa. i actually ended up rubbing the inside of the connecting hoses with vaseline and that seemed t help quite a bit. not something i plan on doing again for a long time. the other annoying thing was the wire were so old that everytime i tried to pull them off the plug the boot would tear in half and i would only have par of it in my hand and then have to grab a pair of pliers to get the rest out of there. whoo..okay i'm done ranting now sorry bout that.

Guest Anonymous

i was talking to the counter guy at checker and he said the condition of the plugs could be from not getting a full spark I.E. my coil is going bad. does that sound about right to you guys?

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

WEIRD SPARK PLUGS

A coil going bad usually shows itself under

load. Like climbing steep hill or passing,

misfiring would occur. Deposit on plugs can be from fuel contamination. Change plugs then

drive around for a week-recheck plugs again.

Late model cars tend to be more white nowdays.

Sunny