HybridZ

My lights flicker

Guest zthang43

Guest zthang43

Driving at night I noticed my lights flicker (dash lights and headlights). The little backlight in my radio flickers too. Battery connections are good, and the ammeter in the car doesn't seem to move when the lights flicker. I haven't found any loose connections. Would it be my voltage regulator? I am using a Chevy alternator on my 4.3. I don't suspect that as much though because it charges fine and the flickering is just kind of random. It's not really when I hit bumps or anything, it just does it sometimes.

Has anyone else had this problem? What is it?

Guest Anonymous

Please let me know if you find out what causes this, I have the EXACT same problem. I thought it was my charging circuit, but I wired it a bit more direct (alternator to battery) and now I get a easy 14+ volts charging measured on a bit of a run down battery.

I have aftermarket gauges and they go crazy when it does this. I do have a worn ignition switch, and I suspect it might be the connection from the alternator/battery into the stock Datsun harness, I'd know for sure, but I'm away from home for a while and don't have the car here icon_rolleyes.gif ... Anyway if you find out whats causing it, please let me know. Thanks.

Regards,

Lone

Guest zthang43

If I find the problem I'll post it here. I'm pretty sure it's not the ignition switch because mine is brand new. (Keys got lost)

I was thinking maybe the headlight switch if it isn't the voltage regulator.

Hey Z.

You ever try playing with your parking light fuse when it starts doing that? Gabe's Z used to do that till we rewired the whole darn thing and cleaned up that messed up fuse box of his. Still the same box but everything was rewired and soldered back together. flamedevil.gif No more parking lights or instrument panel lighting problems. Good luck.

twak.gif J & G

Guest zthang43

I'll try messing with the fuse box. Driving home tonight, I noticed the problem is getting worse. I also noticed something really weird. When I started the car and sat there idling, the lights would go dim when I pressed the release button on the shifter (using the stock automatic Datsun shifter with my TH350). I thought that was pretty weird, because as far as I can remember, that shouldn't be connected to anything electrical. I'm starting to think that maybe there is a wire running past the shifter that has worn through and shorting out.

My other thought is a loose ground wire between engine and chassis, since the battery is grounded to the motor.

I'm going to check this stuff tomorrow morning, I'll post whatever I find out.

Guest Anonymous

Mine "HAD" the same problem. :D

It is the wiring harnesses located on the strut housing. Just squeeze the connectors a little tighter and that should get rid of the problem. I run out to the local yard every few weeks and collect all the fuses I can (they are free). It lets me replace them as often as I want.

As for the shifter thing, I too think you are pinching the group of wires that run along the shifter. There are many sets (inside the car and out). bonk.gif

Hope you get it runn'n right 2thumbs.gif

Guest zthang43

Fixed it! But boy do I feel dumb. Seems when I put the 4.3 in the car, I forgot/neglected to install a ground strap. twak.gif Funny though, I don't recall pulling one off of the L6 motor, cause I probably woulda reused it.

I guess the chassis was grounding through the shift linkage and the drivetrain. Pretty much explains the weird flicker. (I had the battery grounded to the motor).

Anyway, a simple ground strap fixed the problem, and the lights are a little brighter now too. Doh!

My 83 zxt is the same exact way and it drives me emo.gif ....alright, I tried wiggling wires and double checked the fuses but it still does it. It has a new battery, recently replaced alternator (had it tested and it's ok), replaced both negative and positive wires from battery to the starter...still no go. Anyone have a ZX that have any advice for me. My Z has been doing this for a while now and I'm about to have an aneurism if I can't make it stop. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the flickring would intesify as the engine revves...any more tips guys?????? THANKS!

Guest Anonymous

I'll have to try that when I get home. I've done the same thing. my ground strap goes from battery to one of the setback plate bolts (JTR), but I don't have one from the block to the ground buss on the fender, I'll have to give that a shot, if it solves it I can drive it again without worries, blinky lights at night in town is a good way to get pulled over.. :rolleyes: Thanks for reporting that, if it works on my car I'll report it, if not.. well after a long cry I'll figure it out from there... :D

Regards,

Lone