HybridZ

Dies under boost.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking at a 82 280zx turbo right now. the price is right and it idles well but as soon as the boost starts to build it starts missing. It seems to have more to do with then turbo preasure than the increase in rpm. I would think just a tune up would help(car has been sitting for quite a while) but as soon as the boost guage gets to the point where there is no vacume but right before there is positive presure it is like the computer cuts fuel. I have to release the throttle compleatly and then the engine will catch again.

I know that the details are a little sparce but any sugestions of what to look for will help.

Maybe check your fuel pressure regulator - there should be a vacuum hose connected between it and the intake manifold (if it's there, check it for leaks). If this hose is missing or disconnected, the engine will run rich when off boost (will probably still idle okay), and go lean when on boost. Sound familiar?

Guest zthang43

What about a blocked up fuel filter? That could make the car go lean, causing misfires and/or stalling, when the car needs lots of fuel (under boost and/or high rpm).

I've driven several vehicles that ran fine at idle and low rpm but had fuel filter problems.

One way to find out though if you have problems with fuel pressure (plugged filter, messed up regulator, bad fuel pump) is to plumb in a fuel pressure gage. I don't know how much these cost, but I remember that we had one in our autoshop back in highschool for diagnosing problems like that with fuel injected vehicles. You would have to plumb it in AFTER the filter and regulator of course.

Then again I may be blowing smoke, since I've never worked on a fuel injected turbo Z.

Could be ignition system since it's falling down under load, but if it's been sitting then fuel contamination (esp water) could be the problem. Change the fuel filter anyway and use gas treatment in a full tank of fresh gas. Was the car running all right when it was parked, or is that the reason it was parked?

DAW