HybridZ

Engine Bed Sizes

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i was woundering if all the engine beds are the same for the diffrent models, and whats the diffrence between the ZX and the Z?thanks

Guest Anonymous

Hello Robert, I see your a new member and welcome to HybridZ. Your question may not be getting any response since most of these fellows are fairly burned out on the basics which is no reflection on you because we all started somewhere. All of the first generation z cars from 1970 thru 1978 are basically the same in engine bay size and they are about 3 sources to get swap parts or you can make your own.The Jaguars That Run manual (Small block Chevrolet V8 to Datsun Z ) is required reading, the JTR website link can be found on the opening page of this website on the left side.... The later zx's are different from the earlier z's with no "ready to buy"swap parts, but the small block motors will fit. You can do search functions here to recall earlier discussions and watch the daily posts for more information concerning your questions . Every day I learn something new and find this site extremely helpful. I will admit that some of these posts are beyond my skills and intellect but I am learning

I just finished (well, almost finished. Is it ever, really? I drive it to work everyday, at least) a sbc swap into my 81 280ZX. In the ZX's the firewall is 3" closer to the engine mount crossmember, so there are no "JTR" style setback plates involved. Just use enough spacers between the motor mount and block to clear the crossmember with the oilpan. Also, depending on your steering configuration (recirculating ball vs. rack n pinion), you may need to adjust this height. I have the recirculating ball type power steering, and it blows because i can't find headers to fit between the block and power steering gearbox. The cast iron manifolds work O.K., but i'd really like the power gain from headers. I'm running a mostly stock motor, though, so i don't know how much difference it would actually make.