HybridZ

no oil pres w/ installed oil cooler

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Two weeks ago I scored an oil cooler.. the $99 one from MSA.. unused for $30! I thought it would be a decent, and moderately cheap project. Well, I ended up having to spend about $30 for aeroquip hoses, and a good bit on oil after having to draining & refilling a couple times. Well.. no problem. Anyway, plumbing was a PITA, I'm really growing to dislike all of the efi and electronic systems.. too much CRAP in thar! Can't wait till I get my 240z. So here's my problem:

Everything installed okay, it runs fine, however, it shows NO oil pressure. Surely, I checked around, and I can't find any leaks, there isn't any oil dripping from anywhere, and I can actually hear oil flowing through the rows in the cooler quite well. I've heard of problems with the sending unit in early Z's... might I have a similar problem? Obviously failure of the unit is ALWAYS possible, but that's a pretty big coincidence with putting in the cooler. I'll check on the unit tonight, I'm in a totally different city than my Z right now cry2.gif

Just wanted to get some input as to whether my ZX unit might be proned to failure and I actually AM getting pressure (used to get ~60 before cooler), or whether I better not drive my Z to work tonight! emo.gif Thanks

-980mak rockon.gif

Your correct the stock oil pressure sending units will fail. I would reccomend hooking up a mech oil pressure guage and check for pressure. If it shows ok then install a permanent mech oil pressure guage (recommended) or you need a new sending unit. For me I don't rely on electrical guages. I use mechanical whenever possible. Rick

Similiar thing happened to the Buick GN-powered 2nd-gen RX-7 we built. On the way to Daytona this weekend, the oil pressure starting falling and eventually got to 0. PANIC! But wait, the engine is running with no noise and we can see oil spray on the rockers. Changed the oil filter (had a spare) and it filled up and got hot in no time. Grounded out the gauge and it worked fine. Later after we got to Daytona, we started the car after it cooled off and the pressure was registering OK again. Conclusion, the sending unit is acting flaky and stops working when it gets extremely hot.