HybridZ

let the project begin

..........Now the 'fun' begins :D

Good luck with the project. For all the work I've done, it just doesn't seem like I'm that much further than you, but I guess the little things just take a lot longer than you think.

Are you going to do cage and sub frame connectors?

Might as well since you have it stripped down so much. Do yourself a favor and build a little rotisserie to do your frame rails and all teh stuff under the car.....much easier. I made mine in a couple of hours and 20 bucks worth of 'off-cuts' from the steel shop.

Have fun!!

Tim

Yeah, I'm gonna do the sub frame connectors and put an 8 point roll cage in. I plan to put the car on a rotisserie after I remove the rest of the drivetrain. Shouldn't be long before it goes on the rotisserie. Can't wait to get started, but my wife wants to move before summer:( , so we'll see how that affects the time I'll have.

mobythevan

I'm in almost the exact same place on my project. Just picked up a brand-new Miller Mig welder, cart and auto-darkening hood on my lunch break today. My car pics are of almost the same angles and my car is in about the same stage as yours. Only, I pulled the engine and tranny a few weeks back.

Check out the photo gallery page

My first welding project (outside of lots of practice with scrap metal) is to build a rotisserie.

I was taking some meausurments and came up with the idea of using engine stands as the base for the rotisserie. That way the car can be rolled around the garage as well as rotate. My major concern with this idea is stability :confused:

I could use my existing stand, since my engine is at the builder's shop for a while. All I would have to do is purchase an additional stand and fab up the connections to the car.

Any feedback on this? Anyone tried it?

Wagz--I don't know about the engine stand you've got, but mine is only a couple feet wide, and the rear wheels don't swivel--you get one on each end and the thing won't turn :(

If you look at my home-made rotisserie, I made "bases" that are 4 feet wide, then used swivel casters under them, so I can go any direction I want. From what I've seen, you probably wouldn't want to follow my design to the letter, because the damn thnigs are heavy--I was just over-engineering things in an effort to be safe (and paranoid)

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim -

Good point. I forgot about the back two casters on the engine stand being unable to swivel. I've got the car on 'car skates' right now and love being able to move it into the middle of the garage when I want to work on it and shove it back against a wall when I'm done. All the rotisserie plans I have seen are immobile, except yours of course. Those thing look like I could put my Expedition up on 'em and spin it around! :eek:

I feel the need to play mother hen here guys, pardon me.

In my opinion, the only time to have the car on a rotisserie is with it TOTALLY stripped to the bare shell and only put the suspension on right before you set it back on the ground.

This is especially true if the car is rusty, you car cutting out the floors, etc. This weakens the car while you have the floors cut out. You want to minimize the weight of the car to minimum in this condition while held up by the ends on the rotisserie.

Also, do as much off the rotisserie as possible, and try to do one floor/subframe connector at a time.

Sorry to be such a spoilsport.

Guys;

All this talk of a rotisserie makes me hungary. I just took two Rock Cornish Game Hens out of the Freezer to thaw. Saturday I'll add some garlic salt, pepper, a bit of rosemary, oregano and thyme. I'll put those babies on my rotisserie for about 45 min. Man talk about good!

I agree with you Pete since my rotisserie is electric it can't handle the weight of those birds unless they are TOTALLY stripped and gutted!

I figure I'll leave the engine and tranny in, then I can weld an extension from the drive shaft to the rotisserie. Then I can just fire up the car and have a cool carnival ride. Kids in the neighborhood would probably pay a couple bucks to go for a spin :eek:

Just go fast over the top so the engine doesn't die flamedevil.gif

mobythevan

Pete - It's always good to have a mother hen around. Keeps us unruly kids from killin' ourselves.

I plan on a completely bare shell. My car will be stripped of everything including the windshield before it goes on any kind of stand. Number 1: I want it to be safe, and number 2: I don't wan't to worry (too much) about keeping everything straight when cutting the chassis.