HybridZ

More questions for you all...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As you all may know, my car got hit (In the I'm Tellin' Ya forum) and I was going to swap a V8 into it. I had a 350, found out it was cracked, found a 305 and 700R4 from an '84 Camaro for $100, deal didn't turn out like I hoped, and now I find out that cracked 350 wasn't really cracked at all. As of now, this will be the engine I will use when I buy a new Z. It has, what I am told, are heads from a '77 Monte Carlo. So my questions to you, are this:

1) Are these heads any good?

2) Do these heads have any kind of potential?

3) If they're not all that great, would they be worth using until I can afford some good heads?

4) Does anybody know any kinda info on these heads? (i.e. combustion chamber size, intake and exhaust port size, etc)

Sorry about the long post.

James

James,

I ran a set 0f '77 Z28 heads on my 350 for a few years. Not sure how similar they are to the Monte' heads, but I can't imagine much (if any) difference.

First off, these are smog heads. They aren't the worse smog heads (like the early 80's), but they are smogged none the less. Do not put any money into these heads. While a port job, bigger valves and other misc clean up work will yeild results, keep the money and put a down payment on a nice set of Aluminum heads. I know it's a big chunk of change, but it's the best bang for the buck (except for nitrous, but those an entirely different monster).

My old '77 Z28 heads had a very large 76cc combustion chamber. With the OEM dished pistons, compression is somewhere around 8:1 :( However, I was able to run 13.0's on the motor with these heads and consistantly spray 12.0's (a few high 11's). So they will work better than most people will credit them for. It's just that the after market Aluminum heads will work that much better!

-Andy

• 2 weeks later...

This is sort-of off topic, but from reading this thread I suddenly get the impression that there are actually HybridZ people in Ohio!?! Especially in southwest Ohio? That’s it, we gotta have an Ohio HybridZ gathering! I live about 20 miles southeast of Dayton, almost straight down I-71 from Columbus. My car is currently engineless but I’d be glad to have people sit in it, and I’ll push the car around. You can make vroom-vroom noises. :-)