HybridZ

have a buick 350 need mounts where would i get them?

Guest 2002sentraSER

i bought a buick 359 and a 350 trans out of a 1972 grandsport and i need the mounts to go into the datsun where would i go to get them?

If you mean the setback plates that mount to the motor-mounts (stock parts), you will have to make them or have them made since there are no kits that I am aware of mounting the Buick motor in the car--don't let this stop you!! The tranny mount can be fabbed as well, although Hooker may make a 350 tranny mount, and the JTR mount can work as well. It's just going to take some creative work on your part to make it happen. Good luck.

Davy

• 7 months later...

The Buick 350 is a nice little engine. I almost put one in a '71 datsun pickup once. I don't know if you have looked in to this, but I will pass on my buick information. They have a reputation for having oiling problems. You need to get a high volume oill pump. I would add this even on a stock engine. Edlebrock (sp) makes a aluminum intake for it, most cam manufacturers make cams and valvtrain parts for them, and these folks (TA Performance) make just about everything else. With the front mount distributor you should be a ble to move the engine way back.

True, the Buick V8s have their cons, but I think the 455 is more vunerable to bad oiling. Anyway, you can fix things on either engine to avoid that. There are aluminum heads available (or soon-to-be available) for the 350, which should really wake an already stout motor up. I think a stock 350 from a 1970 GS put out 315hp and about 410 ftlbs. With headers, aluminum intake, aluminum heads, HEI, warm cam, and good carburation, that same motor could probably push 400hp.

Guest Tom Scala

One other nice thing about the Buick 350 is I've heard it's the lightest of the GM 350 engines,including the SBC. Max power potential may not be up there with the Chev but in a street/strip car it should be more than adequate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Nothingface5384

i know u can use buick 3.8 motor mounts they fit the 350...i'd recommend getting ones from the GN motor, but it doesnt really mater.

i'm gonna repeat some info that might already have been posted.

buick 350 was facotry stroked...originaly 215 lenghted deckheight after 300...for 340/350

yes the buick 350 was the lightest, around 450-480lbs.

its more stonger then the chevy...has more nickel content.

aluminum heads and aluminum single plane intake is rumored to be in r&d.

TAperformance and postonbuick has all your performance needs.

distributor is upfront unlike the chevy

and lastly max potential is up there with chevy....with the same mods a buick 350 will have more power untuned...where a chevy you'd definatly have to tune it..

theres been a few guys over on v8buick that have 1000hp 350s n/a

i'll be doing this swap whenever i find myself a 240z/280z so i may stuff a 455 stage 2 in my 72 skylark :-D

a fairlady would be awsome...right hand drive..

and damn ...just noticed i bumped a old thread....i was searching for buick350 swaps, and didnt pay anymind to timestamps...sorry guys

• 1 year later...

Mudge, 400 buick was the big block (400-430-455) Oiling problems are easily solved. 350's had same size cam bearings as the big block so upgrades are worthwhile here. Might want to procure a new timing cover since the oil pump gears ride in it..(apparently the AMC and buick engineers were both smokin that stuff when they designed this)..most likely original cover will be scored beyond tolerance and engine will starve for oil...with buick's huge main and rod journals it doesn't take much to wipe a bearing out.

Part of the problem is also the passenger side lifters were fed through the front cam bearing, once it wore down it blocked flow to that side of the motor, especially because the oil pump is driven from the front of the camshaft.

Make sure you have good oil pressure, buicks won't live on 40psi@ 6000 rpm like a chev will....buicks like about 65. (once again those 3.25" main journals are haunting it)

Recommend buying "Guide to Buick Performance Engines" by Steven L. Dove...tells you everything you need to know.