HybridZ

'77 280Z LS-1 Conversion

I've got a '77 280Z in pristine condition and 199,000 miles on the original, untouched, L28. It's starting to rattle at idle indicating I may have a wee bit of wear on the crank & connecting rod journals and my clutch now has about 70,000 miles on it. My current plan is to get the fuel injected aluminum block LS-1 with a T56 out of a donor camero or firebird complete with the engine control unit and the OBD-II. Also figured on using the 3.7:1 LSD R200 out of an 87-89 300ZX. With the second OD of the 6-spd. I figured it would be a stump puller in the low gears but still be able to turn about 1,800 rpm at 60 mph in 6th.

Anything that I really need to look out for? I don't want to get way into this project and then encounter a big GOTCHA! I'm quite the novice at this so it would be easy to overlook a problem that would be obvious to y'all. Looking forward to some pointers from those of you that have gone before me.

Thanks.

Phantom

Guest Anonymous

I'm not done yet, so I can't tell you what to look out for but...

You might look into the R230 LSD out of a Q45 or a 90-96 300zx Twin Turbo. They are a lot easier to come by (<$) than r200lsd's. The install doesn't sound that bad -- drill a couple of holes and have some custom CV shafts made. Probably comes out to about the same price in the end but you end up with a much stronger diff and CV's.

Just a thought.

Well, the install of the LS1 is not so straight-forward. There's no JTR kit for instance.

You can use modified "setback plates" (much longer), and secure them to the strut rod mount, which is what LoneStar1 did (pics of his car in Member's Rides). But you'll then have to work out how to mount accessories.

I have some info on my site. And I will be publishing some actual measurements at some point. But, the route I took involves some fabrication and some tinkering.

Thanks for your replies guys. The info on the later model differentials is excellent. I was unaware of the R230 and coming out of a V-8/turbo car it definitely should be much stronger. I'll have to look at the total costs involved. I can get the 3.7 R200 LSD for about $400 which may be hard to beat.

As far as the engine / transmission mount goes I may have that beat too. I live about 30 miles from John's Cars in Dallas, TX and am trying to work a deal with him to develop an LS-1 kit. It is going to take some significant time and $ but I think it will be well spent.

Thanks again.

Phantom

Well the good news is you live in Arlington, and I live in Mesquite Tx. E-mail me sometime with your phone number and i'll get in touch. My car is a 73 so i'm not sure if all is the same with your car as mine. The LS1 fits nicley in the Z, and stock exhaust manifolds can be made to fit. When I first set the motor in place I could only see one location that all would fit. The fuel injection also makes the conversion harder. Mine has the 4L60E automatic transmission and I'm not sure where the shifter on the T56 would work out to. At least you can look at a completed car for ideas. ugg.gif

Guest JESTER3798

I have a 78 280z and an LS1/T56 and jeromio and lone are right its no straight forward project. In my case there has been a lot of head scratching and a lot of welding and grinding to make the install look pro. just my $.02, its gonna take some time to do it right.

PS dont get discouraged if you think you can do it...DO IT

Alright Phantom 2thumbs.gif

Finally making the jump. I was wondering when you were going to do it. I know you've been considering it for atleast acouple of years now. I'm sure Jerry isn't to keen on you doing this, but thats probably why your going through John's cars. I would hope to think you've found a new daily driver while this is going on. If not, email me. I have some leads at some up coming auctions in the area ;)

I for one can say, do it. After the little ride I had in Lone Star 1's Z out at Ennis I have expanded my options, so to speak.

Let me know if I can help out in anyway. I have a good source of info gathered in bookmarks on my pc.

Guest Anonymous

Jester,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but the only real problem I forsee..... Traction! flamedevil.gif

The swap may also require coilovers and some fender flares!

Seriously though, glad to hear we have another ls1 junkie on the way. I'm stickin' with the easy LT-1... which will now be in a ferrari 250GTO body ;)

Have fun, and document what you do please! For HyridZ! :D

Kris

Spot!!!!

Long time no hear! I haven't been on zcar.com much for quite a while. A lot of things going on not the least of which is my oldest getting married.

Anyway - Jerry and I have actually discussed the V-8 conversion - about three weeks ago. He's ok with the concept as long as I plan on having the T56. He doesn't feel the other trannies have enough OD in them. I really hadn't thought about trying to get him to do it. He is so busy it would probably sit in his shop for four years or so - kind of like the turbo Z he's been building for himself the past 5-6 years. I haven't thought a lot yet about what I'll do for a daily driver while Zack is having the transplant. It depends on how long the time estimate ends up being. I might just buy one of Jerry's cars and then resell it when Zack is done.

Thanks for the hello e-mail.

Phantom

In response to the concern about having enough tires under the car. That is one that I have considered extensively. Follow my logic. My L28 is putting 135 HP through a 3.90:1 R-200 to one rear wheel now. If I go to the 3.7 LSD I end up splitting the HP and Putting about 160 HP to each rear wheel. That is just under 20% more HP per wheel than the car is carrying now. I'll have to be careful off the line and very careful on wet streets but my 225-60/16's should handle it pretty much ok.

Phantom

Phantom:

Follow my logic. My L28 is putting 135 HP through a 3.90:1 R-200 to one rear wheel now

Couple quick comments:

-Z cars IRS is more efficient than just power to one wheel, all models can paint two black stripes without an LSD. Stock Lt1's spin 2/3 in Z's and LS1's more so.

-V8 hp has far greater consequences than strictly X hp V8 vs. X hp L6. Torque is what challenges your traction moreso and across a far greater rpm range with a V8 and particularly a modern roller motor like an LS1.

-as well the factory Lt1/LS1 figures are anything but overstated, especially once opened up at all in Z's with varying intake or exhaust (ie. no cats and/or headers etc). So your expected 2x's ratio for hp may in fact result in 2.5x's or more area beneath the torque curve for an LS1 vs. an L6.

-long story short...it'll be a helluva a lot of fun but don't assume DOT treads in 225 series will keep all your torque/hp effectively on the ground for the reasons you mentioned IMHO. The 225/60/16 taller profile will help somewhat by reducing your gearing.

I'll bet the subject of adequate tires vs. V-8 torques has been discussed a million times on this forum. I guess the Z would be like a Chevy pick-up with a 454. Or maybe like my first new car which was a modified '70 340 'Cuda. It had G60/15's and no positrack. Engine was tuned by Bobby Likis and ran like a scalded ape. The car could be a handful but, treated with respect, it was great fun to drive. I expect the Z will be somewhat similar - and that is exactly why I want the LS-1 and a quiet single exhaust that exits where the stock Z exhaust exits. My car doesn't look stock (Feb. '99 Z-car of the month on ZCAR.com) but not too many people will initially suspect the V-8. I would rather have some 275's on the rear but I'm not yet willing to flare the car that dramatically. I'l live with the excitement for a while.

Phantom