HybridZ

Top End Performance??

Guest Ozoner

Guest Ozoner

Does anyone know anything about Top End Performance in Hollywood, CA? Has anyone ever bought anything from them or had an engine rebuilt by them? The reason I'm asking, I want to rebuild my 75' 280Z NA engine into a 3.1 liter engine and they were recommended by someone I know. Anyone know of a any other good places in Southern California (Orange County) to have a performance engine rebuilt, head work done, etc??

oZoner

I've dealt with Top End for many years now. Though I've only dealt with them mail order, and only for Weber carb parts. I've had excellent results in dealing with them.

As far as engines go, I hear they are a bit pricey, but seem to build some fairly stout engines.

I dealt with them once. I bought an HKS HG and a valve. They finally sent the valve after forgetting about it for two weeks and it was the .100 longer one. I ended up eating shipping charges and getting a refund as they took there sweet time about getting the first one out that was supposed to be in stock. The HG came quick though. It was their rude and unapolagetic attitude that will keep me from going back. I will sell my Z car first before using them again.

Myself, Dan Baldwin, and Keith Thomas (katman) can heartily recommend Sunbelt Performance in Atlanta, GA (770) 932-0160. Mike (Mistress Motorsports) seems pretty happy with the 3.2L build for him by House of Cobra in Costa Mesa (or maybe its in Santa Ana). I've heard and seen his car run at the last HSR West race and its pretty impressive.

Guest MistressMotorsports

In case you do decide to contact House of Cobras, they are in Anaheim and the number is (714) 630-8001. Sunbelt is certainly the established benchmark and has TONS of experience. They are also pricey. House of Cobras has been in the engine business for many years, although they are fairly new to Datsun motors. They have three full race Datsun motors running right now and have zero failures on them. Their motors are also winning, not just finishing. House will cost about half of Sunbelt. They are very serious about building more Datsun motors as they see a real niche there, especially for vintage racers and others who want more than a stock rebuild. If you call House of Cobras, talk to Dave or Dean and mention my name.

Mike Eckhaus

I've been happy with my Rebello 3.0L so far. I have yet to dyno it but I can tell you with the utmost certainty that it is the most powerful n/a L6 engine I have ever driven or had the pleasure of riding behind. There are other more powerful engines, but I have been very happy with the Rebello. Both Dave and Rick are easy to talk to and have tons of experience to boot.

This isn't to say Rebello is the only game in town though. Sunbelt has provven itself to be quite good at what it does as well. One thing to consider though, neither one is what I would call cheap.

I personally have not had the best experience when dealing with Top End. The guy (Steve) came off as a bit arrogant and rude. This is only in dealing with parts though, so I can't speak for their ability with engine building. But, my experience with their customer service would make me very wary of getting involved with them at an engine building level.

Hope this helps....

Guest zline

damn..i wanted top end to do a triple 50mm blowthrough FI setup for me...I dont trust myself with headwork and was saving for a sunbelt head...if House Of Cobras is half and as serious hell they'll have my business..i wonder if they can do that same induction setup for me...

I like Steve at Topend. He answers email promptly, and will match price if you find things cheaper. I bought my Spearco from him and he matched the price I found on a DSM website, and sent it out the next day.

They also built a waste gate bracket for their dual port wastegate actuator for my last turbo, and did nice work. I paid 150 for the bracket and the wastegate actuator, and it has worked flawlessly.

Sunbelt is good but the are pricey. Robello is good too. Good work is not cheap, no matter who does it.

Top End Performance!!!!! How much money do you have to throw away? I would stay as far away from them as you can. I had TEP build a long block turbo motor for my z.....My experience was; head work that was incomplete and done wrong...incorrect valve size, unfinished porting, and warped,(Gerolomy of Sacramento had to fix it for me to the tune of $$$$, a clutch that was never designed for the street which I found out after a friend who had the same clutch fail after 2,000 miles. They refused to return my $ for the clutch even though it had not been installed yet! BTW, the clutch was never designed for the street (according to the manufacture). A fuel pump that lasted three hours (new???). numerous oil leaks immediaely after start up, a camshaft that was not ground to spec and had to be replaced. Worst of all is their rude atttitude, unreturned phone calls, bad mouthing of other z owners that have had similiar experiences with TEP, and calling me a lier. If I lived in the LA area I would have taken TEP to small claims court for all the time and money they have cost me.

How

Some others may have had a positive experience with TEP. However, I know of at least four other poeple on this forum who have had many bad experiences withg TEP. But then again, maybe mine was just a one time occurance.....over and over again!!!

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the 500+hp yellow Z.

http://www.racetep.com/zpics.html

As I recall, that car was sold to someone in Georgia, whereupon it dyoned at around 250rwhp. The car reportedly later made in excess of 300rwhp, after the 'trick' TEP block/head were scrapped and replaced with a junkyard motor. :shock:

I guess maybe they use Shetland Ponies in Hollywood... :roll:

Guest zline

Gerolomy, Sunbelt, and Rebello are the 3 names you can really trust for headwork etc., ... time and quality are direct functions of price however...the better and longer a shops been around the more you can expect to get charged but the fact that they've been around tha tlong attests to their true quality and customer service...

how's that relationship for all you math guys =P

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the 500+hp yellow Z.

http://www.racetep.com/zpics.html

As I recall' date=' that car was sold to someone in Georgia, whereupon it dyoned at around [b']250rwhp[/b]. The car reportedly later made in excess of 300rwhp, after the 'trick' TEP block/head were scrapped and replaced with a junkyard motor. :shock:

Yep, Cleve Meredith purachased the car and it sat at Sunbelt for while. The car was said to make 500hp but, used a H-trim TO4B turbo. The car dynoed 276hp@wheels as I remember detonating like a SOB. Car had an E31 head with some funky deck height on the piston to get compression down. Car was tuned for $hit as I looked at the tech timing/fuel map. What a shocker coming from TEP. Motor was dumped for a turbo motor with stock rebuild with the only performance mod being and HKS 1mm head gasket. The car then made over 350hp@wheels. The car was actually in nice shape as the pictures show. I learned 4.5years ago never again to deal with TEP. After spending about $4500 with them and getting crap attitude from Steve Nelson I said enough is enough. I later learned how much overcharged I was on parts I had ordered. I can only blame myself for that one. Those clowns need to realize that attitude and crap service will give you a bad wrap very fast. BTW, I remember Steve Nelson telling me the yellow car went low 11's! YEA RIGHT!

• 13 years later...

Digging up an old thread. I bought a strut brace from them, it was very good. They where very easy to deal with and everything showed up on time.

I was about to buy some more stuff from them but this thread concerns me! Anyone know if they changed? This thread is 10 years old....