HybridZ

supercharger help

Guest 280zx400block

Guest 280zx400block

Hello all. I'm VERY new to the Hybrid thing. I just bought a 79 280zx with a chevy 400 small block. 700r4 tranny, and 3.9 rear end. The compression is 8.5:1 Its mostly gonna be a semi daily driver. And perhaps some play time on the drag track. Or maybe waxing the occasional Honda civic :lol: I'm looking into putting a supercharger on it. BUT I havent a clue on where to start. If what I have been reading is right I can only put 6 pounds of boost Max (is that right?). Could be wrong LOL Here's my question. If anyone has or seen a similar set-up and what model of supercharger they are using? And what kind of HP should I expect? Any and all help would be nice. Thanks again. I'll be trying to get some pics up soon. Adam

Guest greimann

Vortec makes a carbureted supercharger application, but fitting it under a ZX hood is going to require a hood scoop. I think a better approach would be to build that 400 into a 400 HP normally aspirated motor and have a killer machine that fits under the stock hood, and is still a daily driver. It would be cheaper and more reliable than a supercharger setup.

4gp218-010s_engine.gif

You need to buy some books and start reading. How much boost you can run will depend heavily on what type of engine internals and head you have. An intercooler will make a difference also. That is about all I know, so if I were in your position I would definitely be doing some reading.

How do you know your CR is only 8.5:1? That is really low, almost like the engine was originally intended for forced induction. Maybe all of your internals are forged? Or maybe somebody bolted on the wrong head for the pistons you have.

Also keep in mind, if you go forced induction your car will almost certainly be one bad a$$ mo fo. I am talking King Kong here. You will NEED to do a LOT of work to make the car handle this type of power. Greimann's advice is worth considering. A 400 HP naturally aspirated Z is a truly beautiful thing.

Guest 280zx400block

Well I have to buy another hood anyway. It already has a big hole cut where the snorkle (air cleaner) is sticking out the hood. LOL But it does look BAD AZZ. I know the compression from the guy that built the car. This is the second 400 block. The first was a MAX built 400 block for dragging. Put the semi-built 400 in to sell the car. If I go Turbo wont I have to put EFI on it? Even now with no supercharger or turbo the car is making crazy HP. Dont know of any DYNO's in the va beach area. But one word this car is FAST!!!!! Would like to set up a daily driver that can run Low 11's or high 10's. But who knows I've been seriously bitten by the Z bug. Always been a MOPAR guy. Never knew these cars were capable of this kind of HP and still handle well. I know I have ALOT of research to do. Just wanted to pick you guys brain alittle. Again THANKS I'll be trying to get some pics up soon. And I'm sure I'll be asking for more insight. Later All

My friend has a 1976 280Z with a 383, 9 to 1 compression and has a super charger on his running 4-6 pounds of boost. He also is running a built 700r4 with 3.70 lsd rear end.

his car flat out hauls ass. He has not run the 1/4 yet but g-teched it a few times. It will not hook up at all but runs high 11's to low 12's at 128-130 mph. A good set of drag radials and he should see 10's.

Mike

If he is seeing 128-130 (Gtech should be off by a couple), then he should see a 10.4-10.5 with slicks, if he's an honest second slower though then it sounds like he should see low 10s, but it is Gtech after all. Cars with hook hit 10.8@130, 10.7@133 etc

Guest Anonymous

i have been thinking about an ati procharger since i purchased my car.i let someone talk me out of it a while back. should not have listened.there is a web site, darius 240z.com. he is running an ati procharger d-1 14 lbs or boost. claiming 670 hp. if you have forged parts, 14 lbs of boost can be realistic with a good intercooler. then it isa matter of tranny and rear end and shafts holding up. let me know what you decide to do . mark

The trouble comes in running an ati procharger through a carb - I also was very interested in this setup and after an exhausting search on the internet the consensus seemed to be that it isn't worth the hassle. Roots-type blowers seem to be better suited to carbs, if you want an ati then f.i. seems the way to go. That being said, your 400 could be built into quite a machine even without a blower. I've got a buddy with a 406 in his vette that dynoed somewhere in the mid-500hp range and 650 ft/lbs of torque.

BTW, if I could fit a roots-type under my hood scoop on my carbed 327, or if an ati ran good on a carb, I would've done it yesterday.

you bastard, you're the one that bought that car before I could, aren't you! The blue one with white stripes? Oh well, very nice car, really wish I had gotten to it first. I agree with the others, 8.5 seems like it was designed for forced induction, but fitting in under the hood is going to be a challenge. Maybe just changing the N/A compression ratio is a better idea, building up the engine a little bit without adding a supercharger. Or, you could just sell it to me....